• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Spike's Set Up

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I finally got around to posting my viv on the forums. It's missing Little Spike's 1/2 shade log because he poop'd on it and it's being washed. The basking area runs around 100 to 105 and the shaded area is around 80 to 85 degrees. At night the temp drops slowly but remains at around 80 to 85 with the help of a 75W night heat light. The lights are run on timers giving him 10 hours of night time and 14 hours of daytime. During the day, the UVB and UVA are on and when its time for him to sleep, the night bulb keeps him nice and comfortable. I think he likes his home, and if you don't mind taking the time, what do the rest of you think of the set up? Thanks in advance for everyone's constant support and advice!!!

Specs:
- 29 Gallon Tall
- 100 Watt Zoo Med [Daylight Blue glass reptic Bulb]
- Zoo Med Termometer [sticks to side of tank]
- EXO Terra 75W [red heat glow for night]
- 18W UVB Interpet Triton Reptile tube
- Pet Carpet
- Large water dish
- Smaller dish for salad

1spike1.JPG

1spike2.JPG

1spike4.JPG

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice setup!

You don't need the night light. It can actually cause damage to their sleeping habits, which are very important. Night temps can drop to 65F.

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Renee! Thanks for the advice, can I ask you a question? They aren't supposed to see this spectrum of light that this bulb emits, so is it the extra heat that could bother them?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there... regardless of what the packaging says, Dragons do indeed see that color, all colors pretty much for that matter.

The issue with colored lights is that it hurts their (the dragon) eyes when coupled with UVB. UVB needs to be accompanied by a Bright White Light, to protect the eyes from the uvb rays.

If you need heat, then use an ordinary house hold light bulb. I have used flood lights with great success with both the Tube Repti-sun 10.0 as well as the Mercury Vapor Bulb, Mega Ray.

You just have to play around with watts, as it all depends on your own homes' mean temperature.

Hope this helps out !
Janie ;)

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you all for your advice and I think I made a mistake describing the light used at night. Its not a red bulb, its a special infrared red bulb that the beardie isn't supposed to be able to see according to the manufacture. However I would trust your opinions over the person who made the bulb. So I guess the question now becomes is this infrared bulb disturbing Little Spike?

PS: Tom the tiki was a gift from Hawaii and its supposed to represent good luck; so far so good :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There should not be any lights on at night. As the manufacturer claims and others do, bearded dragons can't see red light. But in the contrary, a beardie's sleep can be disrupted by having the red light on at night. A cranky dragon is not a happy dragon.

The nightly cool down that comes naturally when the lights go off is part of your dragon's normal process. Night temps can get as low as 65F. If it gets below that in his viv, you can invest in a ceremic heat emitter. I've had to use one at night when the outside temps were below 30F.

All in all, beardies need a normal day and night lights cycle for their health and well being. Most recommend 14 hours on and 10 hours off. So, I say kill the night light.

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
And that dear family, is why you came here ;)
Janie

LOL...as you can see...we're still "hatchlings". I'm glad I have this group to come to for info. I want Sedona to grow up happy and healthy and appreciate the wisdom of the group.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dingo! said:
wait so ur not supposed to have any lights on at night?

Correct. Beardies need their beauty rest. And as us humans, if lights are on, they are not getting a decent amount of rest. ;D
Recommended - on 14/off 10.

Dingo!

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well i have turned them off at night for the past 4 days now and he seems to sleep more this way! Thanks for all your help!

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My lights are on the 14 on/10 off schedule and my dragons sleep all night and are very active during the day.

D00UUBLEB

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Since my last post, I have carefully watched Little Spike for up to two hours when the infrared red light is on and when it's off. Clearly he prefers it OFF and most of the times won't even close his eyes until it dark in his viv.

Lights have been off for a few weeks and he's a happy little camper.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think it is a wise decision to get rid of the infrared light. Little Spike appears to agree. ;D

Latest posts