• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LIL Irwin

nursern2be

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone, I'm a first time owner to my lil boy or girl BD. ( Irwin )
I have a few questions, first off I have a little dish for food in the cage and as soon as I turned off the light and put the night light on she went and laid down in the bowl. She is still sleeping in the same position as well lol.. Is this normal?
And second She sometime has her mouth open when she is on her tree basking, is this normal as well?? I read that they regulate their temps this way, so I'm hoping she's not sick. I'm taking her to the vet next week to get her checked out, I bought her at the pet store so I just want to make sure she is healthy..
Thanks for your time everyone : )

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome....

To hit on a few of your questions...you should be taking the food dish out about 2 hours before the lights go out. No food, live or greens 2 hours before lights out. Beardies need heat to digest their food and if he eats right before the lights go out, he won't digest.

There should be no lights on his tank at all during the night. All lights on during the day and off at night. The only time you need a heat source at night is if you temp goes below 65* at night. During the day you should have a heat bulb (can be a regular household bulb) so the temp measured with a digital thermometer reads 105-110* since he is a baby. You should also have a uvb. The best one is the tube style Reptisun 10.0%.

Opening their mouth is absolutely regulating his body temp. This is normal. The only time it isn't is if he is doing it all day, all the time. This would signify that the temps aren't correct in the tank.

And...once they fall asleep, yup, the don't move.

nursern2be

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah I know that they aren't suppose to eat two hours before lights out, I left the bowl in there ( I forgot ) nothing was left in it but when I turned the lights off, he laid down in it and stayed in there the whole night lol..

Spike2

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
li said:
There should be no lights on his tank at all during the night. All lights on during the day and off at night. The only time you need a heat source at night is if you temp goes below 65* at night.

So you are saying that at night we dont have to have any light on at all if the temp of his/her surroundings stay above 65 degrees F?
I have a red heat lamp on all night to keep it warm in there. That is how I was told to do it.
We keep our home around 68* at night. So if it were to make our beardie sleep better I will cut off lights.
He does have a heat pad that is under the tank that he enjoys. So I assume that would keep him warm.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No red lights...it disrupts there sleeping. And yes you understood me correctly. 68* is perfectly fine.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No heating pad either... that can burn the belly of a dragon, as they don't sense heat from below.

Hope this helps !

Latest posts