• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights

Pat B

Super Moderator
I have had 'baby' Spike for about 2 weeks and the light in the tank has been on 24/7. I have been reading that it should be turned off at night. Won't my dragon get cold? I thought they needed the heat. During the warmer months my house is kept between 76-78 degrees. Thank you....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lights should definitely not be left on 24/7, this is harmful to it's health & wellbeing. BDs need a definite, consistent Day/Night schedule, On/Off at the same time of the day, everyday. An electronic time is an invaluable option for this, 12-14 hrs On, Off for the rest. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, it slows their metabolism down for a good night's rest. Temps can quite safely drop to the mid to low 60s F without issue. If your temps are above that, additional heat is not needed or wanted. Night lighting disturbs a BD's sleep also, even the fancy colored night lights, yes Red ones too. Should night heat be required because ambient room temps drop lower than the above mention safe zone, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended to supplement heat & take the edge off, heat with no light emitted.

Please, please read over the links initially provided to you in your introduction thread, this is all covered in them & the reason they were offered ;).

Good Luck :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Lights should definitely not be left on 24/7, this is harmful to it's health & wellbeing. BDs need a definite, consistent Day/Night schedule, On/Off at the same time of the day, everyday. An electronic time is an invaluable option for this, 12-14 hrs On, Off for the rest. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, it slows their metabolism down for a good night's rest. Temps can quite safely drop to the mid to low 60s F without issue. If your temps are above that, additional heat is not needed or wanted. Night lighting disturbs a BD's sleep also, even the fancy colored night lights, yes Red ones too. Should night heat be required because ambient room temps drop lower than the above mention safe zone, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended to supplement heat & take the edge off, heat with no light emitted.

Please, please read over the links initially provided to you in your introduction thread, this is all covered in them & the reason they were offered ;).

Good Luck :)
Oh Wow!! Thank you so much for the answer. Had no idea I was harming my little Spike!! He has enough issues right now shedding....moody little booger!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Just read your second paragraph. I did do a search but didn't find my answer. I always search first so I don't do a repeat question....:)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Latest posts