• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lighting?

Dustin Meyer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone have any suggestions on a light fixture that I can mount on the back of my 40 gallon tank? Any recommendations on light bulb size? I want to get a Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb but just cant find a fixture to put it in that i can mount on tank so I don't have to sit it on top of the screen. Thank you all for your time.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
How tall is your 40 gallon tank? If it is a tall tank (not your average 40 gallon breeder) You could zip tie a porcelain light fixture to the underside of your screen lid and splice it into a pigtail, usually bought from Walmart. If your tank is too shallow where your BD might get burnt from accidentally touching the bulb or it's too hot on your basking area, then in my opinion, it's not worth risking the health of your BD by neglectful known practices. Are you having heating problems or are you just tired of removing the lamps from the top of the screen when accessing your BD, clean-ups and feeding? If it's heating problems, there are much more simple solutions like increasing wattage of your heat lamps for an example.

Dustin Meyer

Bearded Dragon Egg
My tank is a 40 gallon long tank. No i'm not having any heating issues just trying to find the right uvb light so i have everything correct before i get my baby . I just ordered a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and a reptisun hood. I heard that i lose some uvb if I put it on top of the screen of the tank so that's why i was asking if their was a way to mount i? Sorry if their is any confusion and thank you bushmaster for helping me sir.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Bro, I would go with a 10 inch UVB tube bulb and fixture. Make sure to buy the bulb after you found a fixture. It should be mounted where the light is shining on the basking area since this is where the BD will stay most of the day. I say 10 inch tube UVB because it's the strongest and you can hang it, use command strips, velcro or glue it to the inside of the tank on the top part of the glass wall. If you can return the fixture and bulb or cancel your order, I would. And yes, you do loose UVB threw the screen. I don't know the UVB wattages very well but I'm sure you need at least something stronger than a 40-50 Watt bulb so your BD gets enough (minimal) UVB exposure. Many people in here have your tank and have used a straight tube UVB fixture as I have explained. Don't worry about the help, you came to the right place. I'm still new with BD's however, if I can help then kudos to me. If not, I'm sure someone would correct me.

Off subject: Where are you getting your BD from? And my name is Jason.

Dustin Meyer

Bearded Dragon Egg
I already ordered the light and fixture. Its a 20 inch reptisun fixture with a 18in reptisun uvb bulb.Hope i can do something with that.I used to use a coiled bulb but i read they were bad so i am going with the tube uvb bulb's. Thanks bro for helping me and ill let you know how everything goes when i get my dragon. And my name is Dustin .Thanks again bro

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Dustin, you could wire tie that fixture to your screen... that's the best bet. Or glue it like I said. Just make sure you recheck the surface temp of your basking area since you are moving it closer. And can you post a pic when your done? Thanks.

Latest posts