• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting questions

thatGuysCool

Hatchling Dragon
I recently came across numerous posts on the interwebs about reptiglo 10.0 Tubes beaing bad for beardies. I currently have not seen any sings that it is harming Spyro. Should I change it out to a reptisun 10.0 right away or wait a few months and change it when my bulb needs to be replaced? I also have a question about halogen flood lights. Are they really good as a basking light and is it true that you can use a lower wattage bulb than a normal basking bulb and get the same temps?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Repti-Glo compact bulbs got a bad rep 7 or 8 years ago, that was actually a case of mistaken identity. uvguide.co.uk posted findings that the Repti-Sun 10.0 compact at the time was emitting low level UVC causing photo-kerato-conjuntivitis to several species of reptiles, an issue similar to Snow Blindness or Welder's Flash to us. Because the Repti-Sun 10.0 tubes were always considered to be 'THE' bulb to use, the stigmatism mistakenly got transferred to the Repti-Glo 10.0 compact & it stuck. I have been using the repti-Glo 10.0 tubes for over 11 years exclusively in almost all of my enclosures & still use them today with absolutely no issues. If you are using a compact Repti-Glo 10.0, it must be the 26W, the 13W is not intense enough to provide sufficient coverage.

I have also been using Halogen Flood Bulbs (Philips Brand is what I use) for my heat lamps in all of my enclosures for the same amount of time, well over a decade. They provide a brighter, whiter light, & yes, they do produce more heat per Watt than incandescent type bulbs, so are not only cheaper to buy, but are also much cheaper to run. Yes, they do make a very good basking bulb.

thatGuysCool

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks. I'm currently using a 24" 20w reptiglo 10.0 tube. If you say it's safe to stay with it I will (Get an awesome deal form amazon Prime $10 a piece with free 2 day shipping) as for the spot light if I can save a little on elec by switching I will definitely do that.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my rep sun 10.0 is going to make my babie go blind?
The issues with the compacts have long since been rectified, years ago, by using different phosphors in the manufacturing process. You have no reason to be concerned.

Is your reptisun 10.0 a compact(Curly) one?
The Repti-Sun compact is not a coil, but a looped fluorescent.

Reptisuncompact.jpg

The Repti-Glo 10.0 compact is a coil bulb (the 26Watt needs to be used, if this is the type of bulb chosen) ...

p-73522-56378-reptile.jpg

Both will do the job quite well, if properly setup. But in my opinion, the UVB tubes give the better coverage & can be mounted under the screen in a regular under the cabinet fixture, extending the bulb's life & allowing the full strength of the UVB into the enclosure.

CMahoney

Hatchling Dragon
I am currently using the Repti Sun 10.0 compact but I am thinking of switching to the fluorescent tube when I upgrade to a larger enclosure. I have no complaints with the compact I just think it will make more since to illuminate more of the cage with the fluorescent tube. I am still trying to decide whether or not I want the fluorescent uvb tube to run the entire length of the cage or only be above the basking spot. I understand they should be able to get out of the uvb as well as the heat but I feel like if they get down from the basking spot, the uvb from the tube would be more than low enough and less uvb than they would receive from the shade in the wild. What are everyone else's thoughts on how much of the enclosure a fluorescent uvb tube should cover?

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Whatever bulb you use, follow the recommended distances provided by the manufacturers. Our pets don't read them so occasionally can be harmed if they are allowed to be too close or too far away from the appropriate distances. :)

Latest posts