• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting question

Osogood

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you look at my avatar picture, I have a uvb bulb that is inside the enclosure, I would like some thoughts whether their good or bad. Let me know thanks! and if its ok where it is

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Osogood...in answer toyou question Yes the tube type UV lights are best..it needs tobe a 10.0 or 10% bulb. Yourpositioning is not the best tho. UV bulbs emit most of their UV from the center of the bulb and very little from the ends. A better placement is tohave your basking bulb and the center of your UV bulb both directly shining on the basking spot. My suggestion would be tomove theUV fixture over to the left in the picture so that its center is inline with your basking bulb. That way you will be sure that your beardie gets the UV he needs because he will spend most of his time on his basking spot.

I also notiice the thermometers that you are using. Those types of thermometers are notorious for giving you wrong temperature readings and will not work, You willneed to get 2 digital thermometers that have remote probes on them. One probe needs to be attached directly toyour basking spot. The second probe needs tobe placed at the coolest part of your enclosure. This is the only way to get accurate temp readings.

I think I see that you have a baby bearded dragon...the temp for a baby dragon at the basking spot needs to be 110 degrees...the cool side needs to be 80-85 degrees...these are the proper daytime temps. At night you shouldnt use lights at all and unless your house tempdrops below 65 degrees should not need additional heat. If it does drop I recommend using a CHE ceramic heat emitter that will give off heat but not light.

A baby bearded dragon willdo much better with less clutter in it's enclosure. All he requires is a single food bowl, a basking perch and some folks like to place a rock to help keep their claws filed down. It does not need a water bowl as most dragons dont know that they can drink from standing water and wont. They willget hydration from the food they eat and from the mists and soaks that you give them. Water bowls also raise the humidity level in an enclosure which is opposite of what a Desert Dry Climate creature needs.
Also baby beardies do not need hides...they will serve as hides for the feeders you feed and only make it more difficult for your dragon to find it's prey.
The best rule for setting up an enclosure for a baby or juvenile beardie is the K.I.S.S. Rule...That stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid....and no I am not calling you stupid at all..that's just what the rule is called. Keep things simple and basic. You can dress up your dragon's home when he gets a bit older.
All of these changes you can make in just a few moments and they will make a huge difference for you baby.
Hope this helps...Enjoy your evening;-)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I just read in another of your posts that you are housing 2 beardies in your enclosure..I was unaware of this...I have to echo the warnings that have already been given to you Osogood...What you do when you house these creatures together is much the same as playing Russian Roulette with 4 bullets in a six shooter...It's not a matter of if but a matter of when. These creatures are territorial...the "cuddling" that folks see them do with each other is not because of affection but is a dominance thing...the more dominant one gets the best basking spot...the most food etc.
Please take heed of the warnings everyone has given you and get them separated post haste...You can have the most awesome enclosure in the world but when it ends up that one of your beardies gets mamed or killed by the other in that enclosure and you could have prevented it then that enclosure will not be so awesome afterwards.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hmmm...this just made me think about my own enclosure. I think I may need to fix my own UVB light. Does the beardie have to be DIRECTLY under it for it to take effect? I don't know why but I am drawing a complete blank on this question....I have my basking spot more towards the front of the cage and the UVB in the back of the tank but on the same side.....should I move the basking spot to directly under the UVB? ::Slaps self:: LOL....this has probably been mentioned so many times but I think the reason I don't know is because my other tank was thinner and smaller so it didn't matter much. :rolleyes:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Closer to the UVB bulb Is better. Does not have to be directly under it, but should be within 8-10" from the center portion of the Bulb, not just the ends.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Okay, thanks! It may be JUST a bit too far from the UVB, so what I will do tonight is just move his basking spot a bit back. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Has a solution been found to any of these enclosure problems? I would like to know if you separated your BDs or not also

Latest posts