• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting Question Pls Help

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone,
Harry's basking bulb only last about 2 weeks before burning out. We buy the 125 Watt from the local pet store. This is the 4th one we have bought. Also we have a UVB bulb for him. The warm/basking side runs at 110 degrees and the cool side stays at 80 degrees most of the time. Both lights are on 12 hours a day and the basking bulb is on a timer. Are we buying the wrong type of bulb? These are $30 a piece and getting pricey to keep having to replace them. Any advice would be great.
DSC04685.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may want to try using everyday Halogen Indoor\Outdoor Flood Bulbs. I pay $15 for a 2 pack of 75W, here. They provide brighter, whiter light, more heat per watt (So cheaper to run also), superb heat penetration into the enclosure. Any bulb, particularly when hot, are subject to burning out if subjected to even the slightest shock, as can easily happen when moving the lights to provide access to a one piece full screened enclosure.

Why are both lights not on the same timer?

What type of thermometers are you using to measure your temps? I notice that you have analog stick-ons, if that is what you are using, they are not anywhere near where the temps should be measured, are notorious for their inaccuracy, give the temp of the glass which is affect as much by the outside ambient room temps as the inside enclosure environment, so even if working properly, you are not getting accurate temps of that enclosure area, anyway.

Could be an illusion of the angle of the pic, but it does not seem that your BDs Basking spot is anywhere near close enough to the UVB bulb. Should be in the vicinity of 8"-10" from a 10.0 mounted above a screen, from the center of the UVB Bulb to the Basking spot.

BeardieMama

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you! I will try the floods! The basking spot usually is right under both lights, but Harry likes to move his basking spot when he takes a dip in his water dish, lol. He pushes it around so when he gets up to bask, his slave, me, moves him directly under the lights. He is a pain in the butt!! I know I need to get the probe for the enclosure, but we haven't had the money for it. I don't like the stick on ones at all!! I just make sure that he is warm and check his poops daily to make sure he is getting enough of a high temp to bask correctly.

Latest posts