• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting help please for a novice owner

lollow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone

Can someone please advise me on what lighting I need for a bearded dragon?

Currently we have a uva basking spot light, an arcadia t8 14%. At the other end of the tank we infrared have a heat lamp to stop the tank from getting to cold.

I've gone around in circles a couple of times now with what lighting I should have and I am really unsure what is the best set up to have.

Do I need a uva basking lamp if I have a t8?
Would the infrared lamp be sufficient for a basking lamp?

I have recently moved the lizard to a new vivarium 115x61x91.5cm. I have built some shelves into it so the lizard can get up high to the basking spot but I am concerned that she is not getting enough or too much uv light.

I am a complete beginner and really want her to be happy and healthy so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone

Can someone please advise me on what lighting I need for a bearded dragon?

Currently we have a uva basking spot light, an arcadia t8 14%. At the other end of the tank we infrared have a heat lamp to stop the tank from getting to cold.

I've gone around in circles a couple of times now with what lighting I should have and I am really unsure what is the best set up to have.

Do I need a uva basking lamp if I have a t8?
Would the infrared lamp be sufficient for a basking lamp?

I have recently moved the lizard to a new vivarium 115x61x91.5cm. I have built some shelves into it so the lizard can get up high to the basking spot but I am concerned that she is not getting enough or too much uv light.

I am a complete beginner and really want her to be happy and healthy so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
So your using a 40 gallon tank? For a 40 gallon you want a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or 24 watt-- the 14% bulb is going to be too strong for a 40 gallon tank you need distance for that bulb --- the T 5 is good for distance in the tank 12-15 inches - or unobstructed meaning NO screen --- please get rid of the infrared light if it is a colored bulb NO colored bulbs AT ALL - they disturb the dragons sleep and will / can cause long term eye damage- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps to 95-100 F taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- or 105-110 F for a baby up to 6 months of age -- if your temps in the tank are falling below 65 F ambient at night then get a CHE - ceramic heat emitter - that can be placed on top of your screen in the center of the tank - you want ambient temps at night 65-75 F --
Please post a pic of your tank and lighting - the dragon should not be sitting any closer than 6 inches under your baking bulb it will burn them -- good basking bulbs are Flukers basking --- Exo Terra Intense -- or a Arcadia Halogen --- you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps - nor should he be any closer than 17-18 inches for a 14% UVB bulb -- and a heads up he will need to go into a 4x2x2 tank eventually - he will out grow the 40 gallon -- optimal size for a adult dragon -- the Pro T 5 will go right into your 4x2x2 (120 gallon) tank

lollow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie
Thanks for your reply according to the volume calculator I've just used its a 176 us gallons 146 imp gallons. The tank is this one:

The measurements are 115cn length 65cm deep and 95cm height.

The t8 uvb 14% has a reflector is fixed I side the tank at the top towards the front.

lollow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie
Thanks for your reply according to the volume calculator I've just used its a 176 us gallons 146 imp gallons. The tank is this one:

The t8 uvb 14% has a reflector is fixed I side the tank at the top towards the front.
This is the heat light:

It's a ceramic heat light not a red infrared one sorry that was my mistake

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie

IMP I would not use anything over 24" inches high - dragons like floor space not height-they are also harder to heat-- I didnt know they made 14% bulbs that are T 8's - normally they are a T 5-- is the bulb fat or really skinny? T 8's also need to be replaced every 5-6 months I recommend every 5 whereas T 5's every 10-11 months -- I calculated this way https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/enclosure-tank-measurement-conversions.19/
I redid it and its a 180 gallon tank -- but you have a lot of height - you wanted floor space - also for the distance of the UVB the tank height is good since you need a height of 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor piece - thats for your 14% bulb - if your gonna change anything out and go w/ a lower height of tank then I would look into getting the T 5 12% bulb / 24 watt

Latest posts