• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lighting and heat in the basking area

nibbles

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a very n00bish questing, i am new at this so please forgive me.
I searched but was unable to find exactly what I needed to know, could have been my verbiage.

I have a 55 gallon tank for my dragon, it has three light fixtures built into the lid. All of them are on a switch, in the "on" position two of which light up and in the "off" the third lights up.

The two on are in the 1st and 3rd position (101). first position is a Ceramic 100w Heat bulb the third is an incandescent Zilla UVB light, has more of a blue tint.

w1r8th.jpg

The bulb in the second position is an Exoterra 100w Infared bulb for night time.

29nv11w.jpg

My question is, to me it seems too dark in the corner with the ceramic bulb as it emits no light, just an abundance of heat. Should I add a top of the cage light emitting bulb in that corner for basking purposes? Nibbles, my beardie, obviously loves that corner because of the heat, but it seems too dark.

suggestions?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ideally your uvb light should be a long fluorescent tube that spans the length of the tank and a heat source at one end with the other end being the cool side. the night heat isnt needed unless your temps get below 65f. as you have it now he will only get uvb if he is at that end of the tank.

Latest posts