• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

light watt output lost

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
for some reason my basking bulbs keep loosing potential wattage and wont heat the basking spot hot enough what could be causing the lost of wattage ? i have a 100 wat exxo terra basking bulb and it heats up his 40 gal tank?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Try another plug, try another bulb, try another fixture....:confused: It is called troubleshooting....:cool: Hope you figure it out soon so beardie can get back to basking!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Wow! You have done a good job trouble shooting....tried everything. I use a regular 150 watt floodlight for my basking. Works great. I think sometimes buying 'name brand' stuff for our beardies is overkill. We bought 2 - 75 watt bulbs from Petsmart....basking and a red bulb for night....which we just 'had to have' according to the Petsmart reptilian expert. That is such crap. $20 down the drain!! So we took then back, got our money returned and use an extra flood light we found in the shed....:cool:

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yeap im not waisting anymore times with reptile lights except for the reptisun tubes. yesterday i went to the store and bought a 100w flood light. as soon as i screwed the bulb in adjusted the height it hit 110.2 and is still holding this mourning when his lights came on and i didn't have to adjust it from when i did it last night. also the white light looks better than those reptile basking lights they always seem like they are orange. i have also heard that the regular lights have a more pure white light than the reptile produced basking bulbs.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Woohoo!! You go Spikeleebd!! Yep....I agree with the lightbulbs but you can't get around the UVB bulb. They are sooo expensive at Petsmart but I might just have to bite the bullet and get a tube one and replace my bulb. Glad you got it working.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well i orignally had a 125w solar glo blo and it was good for about the first 4 months then it started to not put out enough heat and then i bought a zoo med 100 watt powersun and that lost wattage because i had it hanging from a lamp stand and when people would walk around it would shake and mvb bulbs are better for fixtures built in custom enclosure, so after that i just got a 100 exxo terra basking bulb and a undercabinet fixture for flur tubes. i glued the uct inside my 40 gal breeder and got a 18in zilla desert series T8 flur tube. It was great the bulb would get to 110-111f and i liked that i had the uvb tube inside the cage because he can get uvb no matter were he is at, verses with the mvb bulb your herp has to be right under it to receive all the benefits of getting uvb. So then the 100 w basking bulb started to loose wattage so i got a regular 15ow flood light from cvs.

Latest posts