• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

light timing

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just stick with the same 12 hours all year long. Every now and then I might forget to turn off their lights and they might stay on an extra hour or so but that's it. I really need to invest in a timer, lol.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Of course, if you're breeding you should do more daylight hours in the summer and adjust a couple hours down for winter.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keeping the hours consistent can help stave off brumation, doesn't always work but does help with some. I you definitely want your BD to sleep for months on end, then give it a season change by lengthening & shortening it's light cycle with the seasons. I think this may be what Aleena was talking about breeding, it is said that it is better to have them come out of brumation, prepping them for breeding. Personally I don't care to have my BDs sleeping for 2-5 months, so I try to keep my lights & temps as consistent as possible, again, sometimes it works, sometimes not. One of my males will brumate for 5+ months (3 times now), when it does decide to go down.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, don't eat, don't poop, don't drink, lose very little weight because they don't expend any energy. Some will find a cooler secluded spot & go to sleep throughout. Others will simply find a perch, generally on the cooler side, eyes open during daylight hours, aware of their surroundings, but no other movement for months on end. This can last from a week or 2 to many months.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is hardwired into their system. In the wild when the seasons change, it gets colder, food is scarce. It is a survival instinct when they sense a season change, time of year, usually through variances in temps &\or lighting schedules. It has been compared, because of the similarity, to a Bear Hibernating for clarification purposes & ease of understanding only. Is also somewhat related to preparation for breeding in the spring. Not all BDs will brumate in captivity or in the same way for that matter. This is why I mentioned keeping the Temps & lighting schedule as consistent as possible so they don't sense a season change. Doesn't always work, but can & has. Generally BDs in captivity won't Brumate until they are adults. Some don't brumate every year or even at all, others a couple times a year, usually for shorter time periods though, when this is the case.

Once the process has started, this is a natural happening necessary for their health & well being and must be left to run it's course. Efforts to keep them awake &\or active should not be attempted, as it would be detrimental to their health.

Latest posts