• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LED light for basking??

Leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well...I finally got the guts to tell my husband about me wanting a BD and wanting to make the viv out of a dresser. He is actually all for it.

His question on lighting is....for the basking light, can an LED light be used? He can get LED bulbs from work for free and they last for 15 years. They don't come in different wattages but they come in different sizes and we would get one that fits in a dome cover.

I obviously would have to test the temperature on the basking spot to make sure the temps were ok but I wanted to make sure that kind of bulb would be ok.

This tank setup is going to be an ongoing project for a few months since at this time of year funds are tight but I hope to have the tank all done and ready to go by February so I can run the lights and make adjustments for a week or so before getting my baby BD.

Thanks!!

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The only thing I could think of, personally, is that they may hurt the dragons eyes. You can just buy a flood light for a few bucks from the store, they work all the same and don't pose as an unknown threat.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't believe LED lights give off any heat, so it wouldn't work for a "basking light" and there is no uvb value associated with them, so you would still need a uvb light. I don't know much about them, maybe you can use them just to brighten up the tank as you would with a mini compact flourescent.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am pretty sure these do not give off heat. You can still use one on the cool side to add extra light.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that was my same thing. I am fairly certain that LED lights give off little to no heat, though you could use them to lightup the tank for basking they would not be a sufficient substitute.

Leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok. Thanks for the input! I will inform my husband. Bless his heart he is trying to "take over" my project! Never fails!