• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leatherback question

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can some leather backs have some small spikes on the back? I have seen pictures of the expensive ones that don't have any spikes on the back but after reading more tonight it says they can have reduced or small spikes.

The reason I am asking is b/c I have been looking at Oscar b/c I think he just looks funny, not bad but not like a normal scale beardie or bumpy like Slyder. His back looks kind of smooth but still has some small spikes when you touch him. But he is not ugly like the pictures of the leather backs I have seen. I just can't figure out what exactly is different about him but I know it is something. Please help me so I can stop trying to figure it out and driving myself crazy. You all have seen this picture before but here it is so you can look at him again and tell me what you think makes him look different:
100_0976.jpg

Do you think it is possible that I am just so accustom to seeing a baby that he just looks different to me? I know no history on him other then he is 5 years old and the pet store they bought him from 3 years ago.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragons do look diff from each other. I dont see leatherback, but it is possible to have some american smoothie in there but I just dont know.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did not think leatherback but his lack of spikes has me wondering what he is. He is just different from most normal and just can't figure out what.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Reduced scalation does not mean a lineage to the leather or american smoothie line. That is a oddity that pops up from time to time in some clutches. One breeder that I know of has a line she has been working with for 12 years now and she has a female that hatched from her line that has very reduced scalation. that was the only time it happened.

Your dragon looks like neither a smoothie or a leather but he does display reduced scales which is possible just a genetic oddity that popped up in his line.

Nice looking animal by the way ;)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he is odd for sure. I think he is still handsome but odd looking with his weird looking back and overbite like Abe Simpson. I still like him either way, so I will settle on, he is just a genetic oddity who is still stained red from that stupid sand and likes to play in his poop :)

Latest posts