• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lack of Vitamin D?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone...well for awhile now my bearded dragon will not go poop by himself unless I give him a warm water bath and massage his tummy and it seemed to have started in the winter time when I couldn't bring him out in the sun anymore, and just today I took him outside in the sun and he pooped all by himself for the first time in months. So, basically I am wondering if maybe I need to give him more vitamin D on his crickets because it seems that may be the reason he isn't pooping on his own. I was giving him supplements 5 times a week but then his urates turned yellow so the Vet told me to only give it to him once a week and I am wondering if maybe that is not enough. I also think that I need to move his UVB light to the other side of the tank because right now it is on the same side as his hammock and I am thinking he may be TOO close to it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please post pics of the setup showing the lighting orientation ...

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Okay...here it is: Sorry it's sideways I can't figure out how to fix that
babytank2.JPG

Fixed! ;)
Mod

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be more concerned about the UVB being too far away, than too close, when filtered through a screen.

I would suggest using a feeding & supplementation schedule similar to this ...
General feeding/supplementation schedule:
For hatchlings and young juveniles (up to 2 months): Fresh greens/veg. 1-2 times daily - Live prey 2-3 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – one day per week calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For juveniles and sub-adults (2 months to sexual maturity): Fresh greens/veg 1-2 times daily - Live prey 1-2 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – One day per week with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For adults (generally 1+ year): Fresh greens/veg 1- 2 times daily - Live prey every 2-3 days.
Dusted: Live Prey every other feeding with phosphorus free calcium - Twice per month with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

As there are different circumstances that may arise, this schedule is recommended only as a general guide and may be altered to accommodate individual situations. Using a tracking method of when you dust prevents unnecessary use of product and more importantly, potential harm to your dragon! With proper and effective UVB lighting, supplementation with vitamin D3 is not imperative but should be provided in small amounts. Excessive levels of oral vitamin D3 can potentially lead to the excessive absorption and utilization of calcium and/or toxicity as can the excessive use of supplements containing high levels of vitamin A. Over use of any supplement can have the potential to cause serious health problems, stick to an appropriate supplementation schedule.

Read More: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/
Good Luck

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Germ! I am not sure if you were referring to my UVB as being worried about it being through a screen because it isn't through a screen it is inside the tank but I don't know if you meant me so I am not trying to make it seem like you don't know what you're talking about lol :) I do have the regular Halogen bulb on the screen but it still gets to about 100 degrees on his basking so I am assuming that is okay. Another thing I am wondering maybe you could give me some insight to is that he is growing at a VERY slow rate...he will be 1 in June and he is still so small for his age...do you think maybe he is just a tiny guy in general or do you think he will go through a growth spurt? He eats his vegetables off and on....I cannot get him to eat them everyday but I do put them in his tank everyday just in case he will eat them. Not sure what, if anything, I can do to get him a bit bigger or if that is just the way he is?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Size is irrelevant if it is otherwise healthy, different BDs grow at different rates & to different sizes, just like people ;) . Over the years, my adults have ranged, at full size, from 15" to 21.5". Some are just smaller dragons.

MY BAD! When I looked at you pic, I took the light of your UVB bulb to be coming from the 2 fixtures on top, thinking one fixture to contain a compact UVB :oops:. Unless you happened to have been unlucky & got a bad UVB bulb, your setup does not have it too close & I do not believe that to be the problem, if there is one at all. It is not uncommon for an older sub-adult or adult to go a week plus without a bowel movement & this is not an issue. I would suggest raising your Basking Spot temp up 5-10*F, this may very well help.

Good Luck

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Phew! That makes me feel so much better to know that he may just be a smaller dragon and as long as he is healthy he is fine. YAY! I just got another basking light and I put the temperature up to about 105 degrees so hopefully this will help! I took him outside in the sun again today and he pooped all over me LOL! So, I am wondering if maybe the tank does need to be a bit warmer. Thanks so much for always making me feel less worried! You already know from previous posts, I am a worry wart! Hehe :)

Latest posts