• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping temps good

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well NY is going trough a heat wave at the moment. My house has been between 90 and 100*f. All the lizard tanks have been getting very hot. I have tried lower wattage bulbs but because it's so hot in my house that's not working. Is it ok for them to be without the heat light until the weather cools down? I've been turning them on for an hour or so in the morning then turning it off until around 4 p.m. then it goes back on for an hour. Princess' temps with the light on are 113 basking 99 hot side 90 in the midddle and 94 on the cool side. With the lights off it's 101 basking 96 hot side 88 in the middle and 90 on the cool side. Yoyo's with light on is 117 basking and 95 all the way. With lights off it's 104 basking and 89-90 all the way.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello fellow New Yorker!

You can turn off the lights if it gets too hot.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We've had the same heat issues here in Maryland. I agree, you can turn off the lights to keep the temps where they should be.

t4bluebird

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeh whats up with that im in buffalo and its been killer hot here usually the trees are turning by now.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's going to be mid to upper 90s with a heat index of 105 to 110 (Fahrenheit), here, in St. Louis for the next 8 days or so. But to us, it's just a part of summer. It's been pretty warm already for most of this summer. We've been seeing August temps in June and July. Makes me wonder what August is going to be like. :eek:

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We usually reach the high 90s in August. We've had one day in the low 80s, the next 100F! It's crazy. But the heat index is what makes it unusual for us.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
We usually reach the high 90s in August. We've had one day in the low 80s, the next 100F! It's crazy. But the heat index is what makes it unusual for us.

Yeah. The Cardinals are playing the San Diego Dodgers right now. One of our local weather guys this morning said he was having a conversation with one of the Dodger players and mentioned the Heat Index. The player had to ask what it was....as he'd never heard of it.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Corrine
When my temps get high inside the house, I shut down the UTH's on my nocturnal animals and switch the diurnal animals schedule around to where their lights come on at night and switch off during the heat of the day. I over lap that time frame so i can feed, they can have a cooling period tho. You might consider that option.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so leave the lights on at night? would that screw up thier schedule? i've neen turning heat lights off before i go to work then turning the back on when i get home. I only work 4-6 hr shifts.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
corrine said:
so leave the lights on at night? would that screw up thier schedule? i've neen turning heat lights off before i go to work then turning the back on when i get home. I only work 4-6 hr shifts.

As they associate sleeping with light, I wouldn't think having them on at night would hurt much. You might consider putting something over the glass during the day, though, to block out any sunlight in case it would keep them awake. Then when it cools down, acclimate them back to a daytime schedule.

San Diego Dodgers....I must've been on meds when I wrote that. They were playing the Dodgers, though. At least I got that right. LOL!

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
Yeah. The Cardinals are playing the San Diego Dodgers right now. One of our local weather guys this morning said he was having a conversation with one of the Dodger players and mentioned the Heat Index. The player had to ask what it was....as he'd never heard of it.

That question didn't stem from his geographical location. It stemmed from him being a jock. Duh, I swing big stick at lil ball.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

That question didn't stem from his geographical location. It stemmed from him being a jock. Duh, I swing big stick at lil ball.
[/quote]

LOL! ;D

Latest posts