• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile with intestinal parasite =(

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
My poor little Lazarus just had his first vet appointment and they told me he has Coccidiosis =(. Thats what i get for buying from PetSmart i guess =/. Anyway she put him on some medicine that i have to squirt into his mouth everyday... any tips for getting him to open his mouth? or general tips? I already washed everything in his terrarium with diluted bleached (and then washed the items until it didnt smell like bleach and then i washed everything with dishsoap a few more times).

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My poor little Lazarus just had his first vet appointment and they told me he has Coccidiosis =(. Thats what i get for buying from PetSmart i guess =/. Anyway she put him on some medicine that i have to squirt into his mouth everyday... any tips for getting him to open his mouth? or general tips? I already washed everything in his terrarium with diluted bleached (and then washed the items until it didnt smell like bleach and then i washed everything with dishsoap a few more times).

I know how to do it. Hard to explain over text. Hang on. I will help you.

Also please get some probiotics asap! I got my Wally from PetSmart and he too tested positive and was put on medicine Panacur. It made him so sick and not want to eat for 4 weeks. Without the probiotics and slurries he would have died. It was awful. I wouldn't want to be in your position as I just came out of that.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
EEK!!! yeah ill be sure to watch for that =( he has another appointment in 10 days but if i see anything ill call an emergency visit =((

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry that your baby is sick. Bleach isn't going to kill coccidia. You need an ammonia based cleaner to kill it. There is a website called bearded dragon.co that sells a pink concentrated cleaner that kills coccidia. I'm not sure but I think that F10 kills it too or a steam cleaner works too. You want to wash EVERYTHING with the cleaner. If you can't get your baby to open it's mouth, see if the vet can give you syringes with small needles that you can use to inject the medicine into a worm. Get a probiotic, bearded dragon.co sells those also and that will help keep the gut flora in check and hopefully keep your beardie eating. coccidia is a nasty disease and can take a long time to get rid of it.

I got both of my older babies at Petco and Petsmart and they have both been fine. When buying from a pet store you just need to be observant of the condition of the tank and how they are taken care of. Plenty of us have pet store babies and have had no problems.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh crap I didnt realize bleach wouldn't work. But hes taking his medicine pretty well

Do you have a steamer? Those are wonderful! The cleaner PatsyB recommended is the best the F10 so if you can get that I would get some. But until you can get some a steamer would be great!

BeardiesAreBest

Hatchling Dragon
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE LAZ IS PARASITE FREE!!!! he has been for about a week and a half but I just got back to school and this was my first free time to post! Unfortunately hes lost a lot of weight, but hell gain it back

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE LAZ IS PARASITE FREE!!!! he has been for about a week and a half but I just got back to school and this was my first free time to post! Unfortunately hes lost a lot of weight, but hell gain it back
That is fantastic news!!! In time you'll put the weight back on..

Latest posts