• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

jumping

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
i dont know if this is common or not. i adjusted Misty's cage up to get her some height to the heat lamp (from 12in to 8in away with a 100w bulb). she seems to be enjoying the change, closer to the bulb and more heat. but have noticed she will stare at the corner of the cage, where the top meets the cage itself, and the jump for it... is that normal? and how long should it take for a juvenile to be okay with being picked up. she still freaks out sometimes when i try to pick her up or even put my hand in the cage near her, and then again other times she is fine with being touched, petted, or picked up... any thoughts?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i think i figured it out, the stick perch was unsteady... ill keep an eye out and see if she still jumps
Try to pick her up from underneath, and from the front so she knows what's coming at her. A lot of people swear by hand feeding or dripping water on their heads, that way they see your hand as a provider of sustenance and don't freak out so bad. Just in case it doesn't work as planned.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All BDs are diffferent, some don't take to handling as quickly as others, some not at all. My youngest wanted no part of handling for the first 10 months of its life.

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
some days are better for her than others, i can pet her a bit and she wont care, but others i stick my hand in the cage and make any movement she runs off. i know it will take some time for her to be adjusted to me compleatly, im just glad i think i figured out the jumping thing cause of the perch being unsteady

Pat B

Super Moderator
You are not alone....I have the same issues with Spike. I always try to approach him from the front and pet him on the top of his head. Sometimes he will close his eyes and enjoy the love!

Latest posts