• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I've been given a scare!

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
I posted a couple pictures on another beardie forum and a very experienced owner/breeder brought up a concern about my girls. He definitely knows what he's talking about, I've seen his albums showing a few of his dragons from eggs into adulthood, so I'm inclined to believe he can recognize a problem. He made mention that both my girls have depleted fat stores on their heads. He said that they do not look malnourished or unhealthy so he thought it might be dehydration. I bath them frequently, mist them throughout the day, mist their salads and I have even seen them drinking from the water bowl. Should I be worried? Is a vet visit in my future? Someone help, I'm a nervous wreck right now! :eek:

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1425072101630.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425072121435.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425072143813.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425072173163.jpg

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you :) this guy most definitely knows what he's talking about. But he did say that I'm doing everything right and they look healthy otherwise.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know. If they are drinking as much as you say and they are eating good then I wouldn't worry too much. That dragon in the photo also has a gianormous head so of course his would look bigger!

You can feel the stores on top of their head, I always play with Dexter's because they are squishy LOL!

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks guys, I did really freak out when I first read his post. I responded by telling him about their eating and drinking habits and their overall behavior. He did say that they look very healthy and well fed, but he hasn't seen any without the large bumps so he was just expressing his concern. While I really do appreciate that, I was totally freaking out, lol. I'm a worrier by nature anyway. I immediately jumped over here to ask you guys because I feel more comfortable with the people here. I'm not really too worried anymore, but I know that it's something to keep an eye on. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Maybe. I don't think Luci's are as big as Dexter's but he's also a year younger and his head is a lot smaller.

It's easy to worry especially when you are new to all this. I'm a worrier too and yesterday someone on FB said that if adult beardies only eat bugs and no veggies then they are going to get gout. Dexter will only eat her worms and no salad so I got worried. I asked here and Elemental Dragon Lord made me feel better about it. That's what I love about this forum, everyone is here to help everyone and nobody judges, there are no arguments. Everyone just shares their experiences and knowledge.

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe @jarich can help us with this ? I can understand worrying . I think we all do especially when your new at dragons. I know I fuss too at least so you are not alone.
Thank you :) I have been searching the internet like a mad woman looking for some type of help with this. I really don't think there is anything wrong with them, but if there is and I didn't do anything about it I would feel awful.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
There are lots of reasons why this could be the case, and it's unlikely to be a health problem. How old is your dragon? Did it brumate this year? How long have you had it? Can you post a picture of the full dragon?

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
They are 6 and 8 months old. I think that my eighth month old, Khaleesi is about the right age at this point, but she shows no signs of brumating
uploadfromtaptalk1425316097155.jpg
. I have had them for three weeks today, they were bought from a breeder for my son' s birthday by my parents.
uploadfromtaptalk1425316157349.jpg
Khaleesi (top) is the eight month old and Hermione (bottom) is 6 months
There are lots of reasons why this could be the case, and it's unlikely to be a health problem. How old is your dragon? Did it brumate this year? How long have you had it? Can you post a picture of the full dragon?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They are growing at such a fast rate right now, so its not at all surprising they dont have large fat stores. Not something to be worried about in the least. They arent laying down fat as they are using their energy to grow. Its also something that is different in different dragons too. Some show it more in their heads, others in their jowels, etc. The main fat store is in the tail base anyway, so thats the one most people look at. If its got a nice thick tail base, like yours does, there is no reason to be worried about any other fat stores.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They are growing at such a fast rate right now, so its not at all surprising they dont have large fat stores. Not something to be worried about in the least. They arent laying down fat as they are using their energy to grow. Its also something that is different in different dragons too. Some show it more in their heads, others in their jowels, etc. The main fat store is in the tail base anyway, so thats the one most people look at. If its got a nice thick tail base, like yours does, there is no reason to be worried about any other fat stores.

Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to educate us!!

Zilladragon23

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so very much for putting my mind at ease!

Latest posts