• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Its time to say goodbye

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As most of you know we have a 12.5 year old Black Lab. The past few days he has been having a really hard time and today he can not walk or stand without help. We have to carry him out to go to the bathroom and carry him back in. The time has come that we had to make that dreaded decision. So today we are loving him and making a stepping stone with his paw print and tomorrow he is going to the Rainbow Bridge. He is still eating and drinking and does not to appear to be in pain, so we decided to have one last day with him.

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so sorry staylor. this is bringing tears to my eyes, because we have a black lab too. she's our baby. he had a great life with you all and you'll see him again :)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm very sorry to hear this. At least you know he had 12 wonderful years.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you all. It is hard but he had a long wonderful life and we know that. He has been losing weight over the past couple of months and earlier this week I was laying on the floor with him and talking to him like I do everyday, but this one day I felt the need to tell him it was ok if he wanted to go and we would understand and all he had to do was tell us when he was ready. I guess he is ready now. His silent words could not be more loud and clear. It is so hard to loose a member of the family. Kenzie is not taking it too well but she understands that he is going to live with God so he can be young again and feel better. She asked if the vet had wings to give Crash so he could make it to heaven.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh my goodness Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear that. It's never easy making that type of decision. Well, it seems like he lived a good life and made your family happy. Never forget the great memories.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feel a sense of relief now after talking to the vet. The vet thinks it was cancer but can not say for sure without doing test and xrays. We decided not to spend the money on the test and xrays b/c it would not change anything. After him telling us what I already thought it was I feel really good to have let him go and not have to suffer the pain of cancer. He had a perfectly cooked stake for dinner last night and we took him to the beach today to for a few hours and he ate a cheeseburger and fries for lunch. We had to carry him to the beach but he loved just laying there and relaxing in the sun and sea breeze. It was a perfect last day for him and although we are sad beyond belief we are happy he is not suffering from the cancer and no longer feels the pain of his arthritis. He gave of 12 wonderful years full of great memories so the least we could do for him was not keep him here suffering for our own selfish needs. He will be missed but he is now a young doggy playing in heaven.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I posted this on f.b....those are wonderful last memories. I am sure Crash will be missed. Im sorry for your loss.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww that is quite moving what you guys did for him on his last day. Sounds like he was quite the loveable little guy. I know personally that labs are one of the sweetest breeds you could ever have. My brother has a yellow lab and is one of the prettiest and nicest dogs in the world. Boy does he love to fetch. I am sure that some day far from now when you approach the pearly gates a welcome bark will sound your joyous reunion!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have another lab and they are the best dogs in the world. Crash was the kind of dog that everyone who met fell in love with. One of our friends and ex-roommate had a key to our apartment and would steal him when we were not home and we would have to walk to the next building and get our dog. Everyone of our friends loved him. He is the only dog I ever completely trusted with the kids. Every dog lover has that one dog in their life that just gets your heart like no other. He was one of those dogs, and my little Pom I had for 14 almost 15 years. The tow of them were just those dogs.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Geez, Sandra. That was very tough to read....but so proud of you guys for giving him that last day he so deserved. Wow....

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a close friend like that....it leaves a hole in your heart for a while.

Please accept my condolences.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. We are taking today to grieve and tomorrow we are getting back to our routine so we don't drive ourselves crazy.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry for your loss. I know situations like that aren't easy but I think it's safe to say he is happy and in no more pain and knew you and your family loved him dearly.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandra, Im so sorry for your loss. There just isnt anything worse than losing someone or something dear to you.
Hope the pain goes away soon and only the good memories remain.