• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this Yellow Fungus?

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I have never been on this forum before but I just found it and created an account to check with you guys and see if you think that this is Yellow Fungus. I have posted on a different Bearded Dragon forum and someone said that it looks like it could possibly be Y.F. but he isn't sure. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow but I still wanted to see what you guys thought.

0XvdCJx.png

Please let me know what you think, thanks!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It looks like it could be yellow fungus to me, has he had successful sheds on the arms and legs? Do you soak him in warm water to see if it loosens, is it scabby? Glad you are taking him in to see a vet always a good idea.. looks like a little one how old?

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
It looks like it could be yellow fungus to me, has he had successful sheds on the arms and legs? Do you soak him in warm water to see if it loosens, is it scabby? Glad you are taking him in to see a vet always a good idea.. looks like a little one how old?
No way for me to be sure about the age because I got her from PetSmart and they weren't sure. She is currently 6 inches and 1 centimeter and weighs 11 grams. It is a little bit scabby I think, it's so freaking hard to tell and it's worrying me a lot! The skin there is very rough and dry, and I have been soaking her in warm water every other day or so.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer the shed question the first time. No, she has not had any noticeable sheds at all yet and I have had her for about 2 weeks now. I did notice her rubbing her head against her basking log which apparently is a sign of an upcoming shed.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No way for me to be sure about the age because I got her from PetSmart and they weren't sure. She is currently 6 inches and 1 centimeter and weighs 11 grams. It is a little bit scabby I think, it's so freaking hard to tell and it's worrying me a lot! The skin there is very rough and dry, and I have been soaking her in warm water every other day or so.

Ah a baby baby lol I remember those days.... It could be Y fungus, it could be a shed that didn't complete and now is gotten hard, it could be from a fight from before you got her/him... So it is good that you are taking her in if anything it will put your mind at ease, and she can get a good look over and checked for parasites..
It looks like from the picture that she has a good belly on her so I wouldn't worry too much they are pretty dang hardy.. Are all her toes/nails/tail intact?
Hang in there being a new beardie owner it can be a bit nerve wracking at first as they can do some pretty funky things..
What is your set up like? Pictures are always good so if we see anything that can be tweaked we can let you know.

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ah a baby baby lol I remember those days.... It could be Y fungus, it could be a shed that didn't complete and now is gotten hard, it could be from a fight from before you got her/him... So it is good that you are taking her in if anything it will put your mind at ease, and she can get a good look over and checked for parasites..
It looks like from the picture that she has a good belly on her so I wouldn't worry too much they are pretty dang hardy.. Are all her toes/nails/tail intact?
Hang in there being a new beardie owner it can be a bit nerve wracking at first as they can do some pretty funky things..
What is your set up like? Pictures are always good so if we see anything that can be tweaked we can let you know.
AIW9lDA.jpg

The left side is her cool side, it is a ReptiSun 10.0
On her hot side her basking spot gets to around 115F. I have a 75 Watt Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp and a purple infrared night lamp to keep some extra heat in at night since it's Winter.

That tupperware container is only there for about 15 minutes, I put the crickets and roaches in there for her to eat at her own pace throughout the 15 minutes.

You can see her enjoying her shaded spot under her basking log that she loves to cool down under. :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice job on her enclosure, what temp does your cool side get down to? what is your room temp in your house? I ask because it can go down into the low 70's as long as it doesn't get below 65F they don't need the light at night and it's actually discouraged as they have what's called a 3rd eye ontop of their head it's an organ that senses shadows and light from predators..So by having even any light on at night they don't get good sleep. If your temps get low enough you can get a CHE (ceramic heating element) to bring the temp up with No light..
Be careful of the hammock suction cups as they have a habit of coming off, what I did to secure them is I use the 3M hooks with the double sided foam tape that is removable... may not be an issue now but when she gets bigger and heavier..... lol Can she get out of that plastic water bowl??

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nice job on her enclosure, what temp does your cool side get down to? what is your room temp in your house? I ask because it can go down into the low 70's as long as it doesn't get below 65F they don't need the light at night and it's actually discouraged as they have what's called a 3rd eye ontop of their head it's an organ that senses shadows and light from predators..So by having even any light on at night they don't get good sleep. If your temps get low enough you can get a CHE (ceramic heating element) to bring the temp up with No light..
Be careful of the hammock suction cups as they have a habit of coming off, what I did to secure them is I use the 3M hooks with the double sided foam tape that is removable... may not be an issue now but when she gets bigger and heavier..... lol Can she get out of that plastic water bowl??
Oh wow, that is very interesting! I have never heard of that before. During the day, the cool side is 85. I've checked, at night it doesn't go below 65 so I will take that bulb out especially if it is doing more bad than good. I will watch out for that hammock, she is on it so much and she sleeps on it most nights. And yeah, she jumps out of the bowl every time with no problem, she doesn't hesitate to go into it for food because she know's she can jump out. It is only in there for about 30 minutes of her day in total anyways, it's only there for feeding her crickets because they hide under her things and I find them days later... :mad:

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow, that is very interesting! I have never heard of that before. During the day, the cool side is 85. I've checked, at night it doesn't go below 65 so I will take that bulb out especially if it is doing more bad than good. I will watch out for that hammock, she is on it so much and she sleeps on it most nights. And yeah, she jumps out of the bowl every time with no problem, she doesn't hesitate to go into it for food because she know's she can jump out. It is only in there for about 30 minutes of her day in total anyways, it's only there for feeding her crickets because they hide under her things and I find them days later... :mad:
Yep if you look on her head you will see 1 spot that's darker than the rest that's their 3rd eye.
Good so her cool side can come down into the low to mid 70's as they do need the temp gradient as they thermo regulate themselves.. and having a cool side at night triggers them to sleep. Glad to hear she can get in and out of that lol I understand containing those crickets lol that's one of the reasons I don't feed crickets (I used to raise them for about 5 years) now I raise dubia roaches for Izzy...more nutrients. Yes make sure you get any loose crickets out at night as when they are bigger they tend to nibble on sleeping dragon's :(

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yep if you look on her head you will see 1 spot that's darker than the rest that's their 3rd eye.
Good so her cool side can come down into the low to mid 70's as they do need the temp gradient as they thermo regulate themselves.. and having a cool side at night triggers them to sleep. Glad to hear she can get in and out of that lol I understand containing those crickets lol that's one of the reasons I don't feed crickets (I used to raise them for about 5 years) now I raise dubia roaches for Izzy...more nutrients. Yes make sure you get any loose crickets out at night as when they are bigger they tend to nibble on sleeping dragon's :(
Yeah, she is very reluctant to eat the crickets but she will if it's what I offer. She LOVES dubias. I have 400 dubia roaches on the way actually, I am starting a big colony for the girl. She will be happy to help me unbox them I am sure. I have always noticed the third eye on her head but figured it was just a weird thing that dragons had. Very interesting thing to know.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, she is very reluctant to eat the crickets but she will if it's what I offer. She LOVES dubias. I have 400 dubia roaches on the way actually, I am starting a big colony for the girl. She will be happy to help me unbox them I am sure. I have always noticed the third eye on her head but figured it was just a weird thing that dragons had. Very interesting thing to know.

you will be glad that you are starting a colony! the hardest is leaving them alone long enough for them to be self replenishing, so once you get yours do 2 tubs 1 for your colony and 1 to be your feeders.. take enough out for a month to feed. Make sure you keep all different sizes to keep your colony growing as it takes 6months for a female to breed.

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
you will be glad that you are starting a colony! the hardest is leaving them alone long enough for them to be self replenishing, so once you get yours do 2 tubs 1 for your colony and 1 to be your feeders.. take enough out for a month to feed. Make sure you keep all different sizes to keep your colony growing as it takes 6months for a female to breed.

I got:
200 1/4"
200 3/4"
5 females
10 males

The males were 25 cents a piece so I am going to feed some of them off since I know it should be kept at a no more than 1:1 ratio. I see that 1:3 is what most do but I am doing 1:1 and seeing how it works out.\

How many do you think I should set aside for feeding? Honestly I think she could have up to 10 of the 1/4 a day, and that is a LOT to hold off from the breeding cycle. What do you suggest?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got:
200 1/4"
200 3/4"
5 females
10 males

The males were 25 cents a piece so I am going to feed some of them off since I know it should be kept at a no more than 1:1 ratio. I see that 1:3 is what most do but I am doing 1:1 and seeing how it works out.\

How many do you think I should set aside for feeding? Honestly I think she could have up to 10 of the 1/4 a day, and that is a LOT to hold off from the breeding cycle. What do you suggest?
That's the hard part! to be honest it's going to be a learning curve for you on how many to feed, I do the 3:1 ratio, I was doing pretty good for awhile and now I'm having to feed off different sized from my colony as I have tons of nymphs but nothing between...I am waiting for the weather to warm up a little as I can't order it's way too cold here in WI right now. I was spending a small fortune on roaches while waiting for my colony to start producing! :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's hard to tell what it is, hopefully the vet can tell you.

A few things about your setup. What are you using to measure your temps? 85 is high for the cool side. The cool side should be around 80. 115 is high for the basking spot, ideal is 107 degrees-110. Hdrydr31 is right, no night at light. If the temps drop below 65 then you should use a ceramic heat emmiter. You really want UVB coverage for 2/3rds of your tank and you also want the UVB and the heat to overlap a bit. The heat helps their body absorb the D3 that helps process calcium.

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's hard to tell what it is, hopefully the vet can tell you.

A few things about your setup. What are you using to measure your temps? 85 is high for the cool side. The cool side should be around 80. 115 is high for the basking spot, ideal is 107 degrees-110. Hdrydr31 is right, no night at light. If the temps drop below 65 then you should use a ceramic heat emmiter. You really want UVB coverage for 2/3rds of your tank and you also want the UVB and the heat to overlap a bit. The heat helps their body absorb the D3 that helps process calcium.
Using an infrared temp gun. I took the night light out and she seemed to enjoy the slumber without it last night. Should I have two UVB lights? One in the rectangle case and another in the two bulb setup along with the basking lamp?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You should really have a strip UVB light and not use compact or coil bulbs. Or use a mercury vapor bulb but I don't know much about those and I hear they aren't good for beginners.

AnthonysGotMilk

Bearded Dragon Egg
You should really have a strip UVB light and not use compact or coil bulbs. Or use a mercury vapor bulb but I don't know much about those and I hear they aren't good for beginners.
Yeah, I know that Mercury Vapor Bulbs are really bad for the reptiles. The ReptiSun 10.0 that I have is apparently one of the best choices to get.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mercury vapor bulbs aren't bad, they are actually pretty good but more for an experienced keeper. The bulbs that are bad are the coiled ones or the ones marked compact. Repti-sun 10.0 bulbs are very good bulbs if you are using the long tube style bulbs. Arcadia I think 12% bulbs are very good too.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This bulb is good
zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-fluorescent-bulb.jpg
These not so much
zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-mini-compact-fluorescent-bulb.jpg zilla-desert-50-fluorescent-coil-bulb-with-uvb.jpg
This is a Mercury Vapor Bulb
261854M_megaray70Watt.jpg
While I'm at it, this is a Ceramic Heat Emitter for nighttime heat. It also comes in white
p-35314-47000-reptile.jpg

Latest posts