• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this tail rot?

hewaddell

Bearded Dragon Egg
I honestly cannot tell if my bearded dragon is experiencing tail rot or if I just discovered some old shed. I was soaking him and cleaning his tail when I noticed some dark brown what seems to be shed coming off. I scrub it with a toothbrush and it came right off. I know you shouldn’t help your bearded dragon shed, but i did peel it a little. This clearly made him uncomfortable so I stopped, but did manage to get some off. Underneath on the bottom is nice and bright as it should be. On top is where it is a bit weird. Here are some pictures to help with my explanation. And as you can see there is a slight bend in his tail. Not too sure if it was always like that or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17

hewaddell

Bearded Dragon Egg
When was the last time they shed? It could just be leftover discolored shed.
It’s been awhile. I also believe it’s just shed because he is now starting to shed on his face. Just was concerned because he refused to eat greens for awhile, but he’s back to eating them.

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The tails are so hard to keep healthy. I didn't peel or help mine shed his tail when he was a juvenile, and now the tip of his tail is dead. Soaking, tropical spray, and humidifiers are all good when they are young. My vet said to bathe him every couple days when he is shedding a ton. I also use a toothbrush to help rub his skin while bathing. I try not to peel the skin (after soaking for 15+ min) but with his skin condition, I have to actually remove it or it builds up and causes limited mobility. He hates it, but the vet gave me meds for pain relief when I'm done.

Latest posts