• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this setup ok?

Blake

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have done a lot of research to make sure that my new beardie would have a good set up. So here Is a picture of the viv. There is tile on the floor a water dish veggie dish. I have a 10.0 UVB light. My basking light is a 100W flood light with dimples. I use a digital pointer thermometer to check temps and they seem to be fine sitting at 106-108 at the basking spot and 78 at the cool end. I just want to make sure that this is a good setup for him. Thank you!

Also I do not use that strip thermometer it came on the tank when I purchased it!

Blake

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_1232.JPG

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds & looks to be quite sufficient & well set up. Looks like there may be a plastic cover on the UVB fixture between the Bulb & BD. If there is, this must be removed. UVB can not pass through solid filters such as Glass or Plastic. If not, it looks good.
icon_thumright-1.gif

Blake

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks!:) Those are just two small zip ties that I have used to hold te UVB bulb inside of the tank to get closer to my beardie. Otherwise there would be an even large piece of plastic (the top divider) covering a large portion of the bulb. I could not think of any other way to hold it in place. Thanks for the quick respons! I love this site

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think he's worried that there's a plastic cover over the UVB, not worrying about the zip ties.

Blake

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ahhh that makes sense lol I will try to take that off. Also I am having problems with my crickets hiding under the tile that I have in there:mad: its frustrating. I dont want to keep changing it on him since he needs to adapt to it but So far I have had to make changes =/

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ahhh that makes sense lol I will try to take that off. Also I am having problems with my crickets hiding under the tile that I have in there:mad: its frustrating. I dont want to keep changing it on him since he needs to adapt to it but So far I have had to make changes =/
Sometimes it takes a bit to get it right ;), but it can be very frustrating. I've heard you have to seal the tile in order to keep the crickets out of the cracks. Good luck with it! It is looking awesome.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
every initial set-up by first time owners might need a subtle tweak here and there, my dragon doesn't tend to mind if i reach my arm in and adjust the position of lighting or putting dow different substrates. I've tweaked my enclosure at least a dozen times from the get go and i still have a couple of things that need fixing :rolleyes:

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I feed my dragon in another container when feeding crickets since they will hide and will then come out at night and bite the poor dragon ( not fond of crickets ) I have switched to roaches and superworms. I put them in a big ceramic dog dish so they can't climb the sides but my dragon is able to get in and out. A roach gets out by riding on the dragon once in awhile but I know they won't bite him and stress him out at night.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I tried slate tiles and they are a pain in the b***. Like you say....the crickets get in the cracks and shide o beardie gets no food. I took them out and now am using some brown reptile carpet that came with the tank I bought. I read another post that said they grouted the tiles so therefore no cracks.....sounds like not too bad of an idea.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i had that issue with one of those fake rock backing, i was so excited itmade the tank look great but crickets hid behind it constantly..i think the rock wall ate more crix than my lizard! I removed it and havent had an issue since :) Nice looking tank!

Pat B

Super Moderator
I put slate tile in my viv yesterday. I got enough to cover tightly over the bottom and I like it. The problem I found with the brown carpet is I am not so sure my beardie could see the mealies because of the color. Attached is a picture. New probe thermometers coming probably tomorrow and I need to add something else just don't know what yet....:cool:

Attachments

• DSC00548.jpg
    DSC00548.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I put slate tile in my viv yesterday. I got enough to cover tightly over the bottom and I like it. The problem I found with the brown carpet is I am not so sure my beardie could see the mealies because of the color. Attached is a picture. New probe thermometers coming probably tomorrow and I need to add something else just don't know what yet....:cool:
I like the look of that tile! Hopefully the bugs can't get down in there since it is so tight fitting. Your enclosure has improved immensely! Those rocks are stable, right Pat? A BD that was getting a little rough couldn't knock them over?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A hide would be just about the only thing I would recommend. Looks great!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many consider hides to be an option, because so few actually use them. I never recommend one on the Hot Side or one used as a basking spot, because it is like an oven inside with no air flow. A hide on the cool side is a good idea, should your BD feel the need for shade, to get out of the heat\light &\or away from UVB. A good Hide will also provide a spot to 'Brumate' in, that it may or may not choose to use, once the BD is old enough & it's system tells it that it is time.

Not all BDs will Brumate & the ones that do, may do it in different ways and for varied lengths of time, from days to many months. Keeping consistent Day\Night schedules & temps will help to avoid their system sensing a season change, possibly triggering the need to Brumate that is hardwired into their system. Doesn't always work, but has. Generally a BD will not go into Brumation until it is +1 year old in captivity. I provide a hide in all of my enclosures, but they are generally only used as a spot to periodically perch on top of, rarely ever inside, again with the periodic exception of Brumation, depending on the BD.

Blake

Bearded Dragon Egg
That looks really good! what size is your tank? and where did you get those tiles? Did you have to cut them at all? Thanks!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Thank you for the nice words. Tank size is 36" x 18 x 18. The only tiles that had to be cut were the back ones....they were just a 'tad' to big. I bought them at Lowe's.

Latest posts