• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this plant toxic?!

jguzma62

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I have a 8 month old beardie named Hatori(tori for short). She very adventurous and i supervise her as much as possible. She a picky eater so i dont worry much about her eating "off the floor" but lately my paperflower plant (bougainvillea) has been loosing her flowers constantly and even though i clean them. I worried Tori will beat me to one before i can get it. She fast when she want to be -.- i tried googling it but all i can find is common toxic plants. Does anyone know if this plant is toxic?

Attachments

• 8f1c5421a99770412e11ec87c5f702d1.jpg
    8f1c5421a99770412e11ec87c5f702d1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201025_093420.jpg
    20201025_093420.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. I have a 8 month old beardie named Hatori(tori for short). She very adventurous and i supervise her as much as possible. She a picky eater so i dont worry much about her eating "off the floor" but lately my paperflower plant (bougainvillea) has been loosing her flowers constantly and even though i clean them. I worried Tori will beat me to one before i can get it. She fast when she want to be -.- i tried googling it but all i can find is common toxic plants. Does anyone know if this plant is toxic?
Go to the nutrition website at the bottom of the page there are plants posted see if its on there
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Only the sap and the thorns can hurt ur beardie (i had two huge bougainvillea hedges at my previous house), im shure by the time the flower dropped off the stem of it it was dry of any sap, it might give ur beardie an upset tummy and diarrhea, everything i can look up about the flower says its not toxic, to cats dogs birds etc, a guy on the iguana forums was finding conflicting information about them aswell, how many can you confidently say she ate? If it was one or two I wouldn’t worry what so ever, if it was more then you might want to Get a vets opinion.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
I found this ..... so in my opinion I would not have your BD eat anything of it or go near it

The sap of the bougainvillea plant is only mildly toxic, but if ingested in large enough quantities, it can lead to illness. Bougainvillea’s leaves are not toxic, but a prick from the plant’s sharp thorns can lead to dermatitis, a skin rash typically caused by an allergic reaction. Symptoms of dermatitis caused by bougainvillea resemble that of poison oak or poison ivy, and may include pain, itching, stinging, or burning skin, blisters, scaly rash, swelling and sores.

jguzma62

Bearded Dragon Egg
Only the sap and the thorns can hurt ur beardie (i had two huge bougainvillea hedges at my previous house), im shure by the time the flower dropped off the stem of it it was dry of any sap, it might give ur beardie an upset tummy and diarrhea, everything i can look up about the flower says its not toxic, to cats dogs birds etc, a guy on the iguana forums was finding conflicting information about them aswell, how many can you confidently say she ate? If it was one or two I wouldn’t worry what so ever, if it was more then you might want to Get a vets opinion.
So far she doesnt seem interested in the flowers. And hasn't eaten it. I'm just a helicopter mom lol

jguzma62

Bearded Dragon Egg
I found this ..... so in my opinion I would not have your BD eat anything of it or go near it

The sap of the bougainvillea plant is only mildly toxic, but if ingested in large enough quantities, it can lead to illness. Bougainvillea’s leaves are not toxic, but a prick from the plant’s sharp thorns can lead to dermatitis, a skin rash typically caused by an allergic reaction. Symptoms of dermatitis caused by bougainvillea resemble that of poison oak or poison ivy, and may include pain, itching, stinging, or burning skin, blisters, scaly rash, swelling and sores.
Thank you. So far the plants are high of the ground and soon as its hot outside they go out for the summer. So she can't touch the thorns

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Adorable pic of her