• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this normal.

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
OK my baby dragon is about 3 months I just want to know is it normal when I feed her she literally sits down like a dog and waits for me to bring her to her crickets in front of her. She chases down her food sometimes but usually she sits.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hehehe....sounds like a.perfectly normal.spoiled lil dragon to.me;) Our Mungi is over 2 years old and on occassion he thinks it's best if we "serve the King".
I dont think you have a thing to be concerned about. However I will tell you that the more you hand feed them the more they will tend to want you to hand feed them and they will expect it every time;)
Enjoy your day in morrow and dont worry;)

Chubbyb

Hatchling Dragon
haha okay thats what i thought thank you. One more question at 3 almost 4 months is it ok to start feeding her medium crickets?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Generally speaking I dont feed beardies or for that matter any of our lizards or frogs.anything larger than the space between their eyes. As far as smalls or mediums..that is going to depend on what your supplier offers and what they call small or medium. Around here that varies considerably from.store to store so when I buy I always go and look in the bins and see how big they are. You can always buy a few of the "mediums" and see how she does with them..if she doesnt appear to have any trouble then you should be fine..I would stay away from large ones tho for awhile;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine does too! :) She'll sit there and wait for me to bring her food and crickets. I'll bring a cricket keeper over to her and she'll open her mouth and stick her tongue out trying to get them. Then she's impatient and attacking the side of the container for them. :) She's one wild child. :)

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
That happened with Big Ang tonight. When I brought the cricket tub into her room she was standing up in the corner with her mouth open just waiting to be fed. lol

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is SO spoiled! He will only eat the crickets if I move them right in front of his face and the poor little guy sometimes misses them and then he gets discouraged because he missed them and he will refuse to eat that cricket so I have to take it out and offer him a totally different cricket and then he'll eat it. It's funny! Right now he hasn't had anything in a few days because I just moved him to a new enclosure but when he starts to eat again, I know he will be the "King Beardie" who is to lazy to move to get his food LOL!!! :rolleyes:

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I always feel SOOO bad for the little guy when he misses them and gets discouraged because sometimes he misses them TWICE and then he just backs up and stops eating altogether and it's sad! He is not the fastest eater in the world but again that is because I spoiled him! ;)

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I thought Sunkiss was the only one who 'misses' the food sometimes - I even have wondered if there is something wrong with her sight...she has bad aim sometimes! :rolleyes:

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Haha.. my Iggy does that too.. he will miss once or twice & then he will just give up & he really does seem to be discouraged. Or if a roach decides to run away, he will chase it only so far & then stop to ponder if its really worth it to walk that extra foot for 1 roach. I tell him "dont be a diva Igg's, go get it" .. of course he just sits there until I set it in front of his face.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think most will do that, when I used to feed crix, mine would sit in one spot & just wait for them to circle the enclosure & get them on the second pass if it missed the first one. Now with roaches, I put them in & they will grab one or 2 quickly then stop for a bit, I let them hunt their own. The only time I usually help them find their food is periodically when & put in their food dish, I will pick them up & put them near it to be sure they see it. Otherwise they are on their own, what they don't get immediately, they catch a little later. But my enclosures are very uncluttered.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
See, I have the opposite at my house. Both of my guys are excellent hunters. To the point where they will rearrange their enclosures to get to the bugs. lol I can't wait until I have roaches for them to chase. :D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh! I've tried getting Allie to chase her crickets in an empty tank. She'll just stare at them and then look at me as if like, "You want me to chase my crickets?" I always help her out anyway! :) She knows that. Then when I put them in a container for her to get them, she'll stare at them and I wind up telling her to go ahead and get them. (She does.) :) LOL!

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
That just made my day 100 times better!!! My autunm is completely different! if i hand feed her she will wait for me to feed her but if i dont she looks at me and thinks to herself if you want me to wait you are insane and chases them down until she gets them!When it is feeding time for her too she will jump off her rock go to this one corner and look at the cricket tank then back at me and claws at the glass! She eats a ton!! But what i find the most insane thing is in my room where i keep her there are about five tanks and different animals like turtles and fish etc. she knows which one is the circkets thats on the other side of the room!! I am suprised that she can tell what is what! Come to think about i should put more pictures of her up since she double or maybe tripled her size!

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Cricket sizes can vary so much! I've gone to buy 4ths (relatively large) and they are the size of 2nds! Just try and remember the space rule. If there a tad bigger it shouldnt be too much of a problem. I've seen ours eat both large and minute crickets!

As far as feeding goes, ours is the same. He'll sometimes chase the crickets around but 80% of the time he's waiting, usually just hold the box of crickets next to him and he munches away.

x

Latest posts