• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this normal ?

West17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I am concerned about my bearded dragon, I have had her just over a week now and she has had her first toileting , I just wanted to know if this is normal please as she has not been since being re-homed.
Thankyou in advance !

Attachments

• 03E25A58-90DF-49C1-AC80-D1886B0E85EC.jpeg
    03E25A58-90DF-49C1-AC80-D1886B0E85EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I am concerned about my bearded dragon, I have had her just over a week now and she has had her first toileting , I just wanted to know if this is normal please as she has not been since being re-homed.
Thankyou in advance !
Well she is definitely hydrated-- what is the diet your feeding? I would look at getting rid of the substrate-- loose or wood chips are not a good substrate- the wood could cause internal injuries if ingested and loose substrate can cause impaction -- you could look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank - clean w/ vinegar/ water solution 50/50 -- your lighting in the tank should be a bright white basking bulb and temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- NO stick ons please and UVB should be a long tube --- NO coils --- those two bulbs I mentioned will control the over all health and behavior of the dragon and that does include digestion -- if you need anymore help please ask

West17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thankyou so much! I have a red basking light which is a coil and a tube UVB the length of her tank, Is the red ok or is the white different? I do only have the stick on thermometer at the moment which is at the cool end and reads 30c , I will get a digital one for accuracy.
Thank you for the information with regards to substrate I will also get that changed.

for the past week I have offered her dark leafy greens daily, the day after we got her home we got some locutus which she enjoyed one of and the next day she ate two and also mealworms around three mouthfuls a day, she had only started to take a few bites of the greens on day 4 and 5, she doesn’t seem interested in food since and has been down the cooler end most of the time, although her face has been shedding for the past week.
Thankyou.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thankyou so much! I have a red basking light which is a coil and a tube UVB the length of her tank, Is the red ok or is the white different? I do only have the stick on thermometer at the moment which is at the cool end and reads 30c , I will get a digital one for accuracy.
Thank you for the information with regards to substrate I will also get that changed.

for the past week I have offered her dark leafy greens daily, the day after we got her home we got some locutus which she enjoyed one of and the next day she ate two and also mealworms around three mouthfuls a day, she had only started to take a few bites of the greens on day 4 and 5, she doesn’t seem interested in food since and has been down the cooler end most of the time, although her face has been shedding for the past week.
Thankyou.
Please get rid of the red bulb ASAP-------------- she will eventually quit eating all together --- the bright white bulb start digestion - you want to mimic the sun ------ please get a basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 F for a adult / juvie or 105-110 F for a baby---- the UVB is what bulb? T 5 or a T 8-- ? these bulbs have certain distances and placement --- is there a reflector on the UVB fixture? If not you want one --How old is the dragon?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

West17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the red bulb ASAP-------------- she will eventually quit eating all together --- the bright white bulb start digestion - you want to mimic the sun ------ please get a basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 F for a adult / juvie or 105-110 F for a baby---- the UVB is what bulb? T 5 or a T 8-- ? these bulbs have certain distances and placement --- is there a reflector on the UVB fixture? If not you want one --How old is the dragon?
Ok I will get the white bulb, the UVB is T8 with a reflector, I don’t know how old she is as the person who I got her from found her two years ago abandoned, she is definitely an adult and looks on the older side.

West17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Colored bulbs can cause eye damage -- dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators and they can see better than you and I --- colored bulbs distort the vision and keep them awake at nite if your using at nite --- please get rid of it --NO heat mats NO heat rocks and NO coils--- the bright white bulb you want a solid one like this
I turn all lights/heat out at 7:30pm as advised from her previous owner, I can’t access the link but I will look and order one now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I will get the white bulb, the UVB is T8 with a reflector, I don’t know how old she is as the person who I got her from found her two years ago abandoned, she is definitely an adult and looks on the older side.
The UVB is inside the tank or top of screen? W/ T 8's they need to be inside the tank -- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and it blocks approx 30% of the rays--- and T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months -- what brand of bulb are you using ? The Arcadias are one of the best on the market

West17

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB is inside the tank or top of screen? W/ T 8's they need to be inside the tank -- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and it blocks approx 30% of the rays--- and T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months -- what brand of bulb are you using ? The Arcadias are one of the best on the market
Brand is exo-terra and it is situated inside of her tank, I will keep a note of the Arcadia’s brand for when I change it over, Thankyou.
Ar first she was very dull looking I’m guessing it’s down to shedding however now she looks brighter yellow, since she has toileted she seems to be much more active and roaming in her tank. I have left her a week to settle in her new home, if you have any tips to start handling her without stressing her out that would be helpful ? Also advice on bathing how often do you recommend? Sorry for all of the questions I just want to make sure I can provide her with the best possible care.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brand is exo-terra and it is situated inside of her tank, I will keep a note of the Arcadia’s brand for when I change it over, Thankyou.
Ar first she was very dull looking I’m guessing it’s down to shedding however now she looks brighter yellow, since she has toileted she seems to be much more active and roaming in her tank. I have left her a week to settle in her new home, if you have any tips to start handling her without stressing her out that would be helpful ? Also advice on bathing how often do you recommend? Sorry for all of the questions I just want to make sure I can provide her with the best possible care.
Questions are good ---and yes go to the Arcadia 12% Euro bulb -- they are very good-- as far as handling I would let her acclimate to her tank and surroundings - hand feed her so she learns to trust you -- you can hand feed her meal worms or BSFL horn worms super worms etc--- baths are only recommended if she needs one like pooping on her self - or if she only drinks from bathing -- most dragons get their hydration from the salads you feed - rinse them before serving- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
you can also drop water on her nose to see if she will lick - watch her poops the urate will be formed moist and white no chalky or dried out looking- you can put a piece of your clothing or a fleece blanket in her hide something w/ your smell on it she will get used to you by that -- its mostly a trust issue w/ the dragon -- just make sure your lighting and temps are in order and everything else will fall into place

Latest posts