• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this enclosure actually any good?

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys, new here and looking to get a bearded dragon in the next 4-6 weeks, very excited!

So I am looking at setups, but see some varying information on different sites so thought I’d ask here. Is this setup actually any good?
https://www.reptilecentre.com/info-bearded-dragon-setups - if not can anyone suggest anything better?

also I see varying info about substrate. What is the best? I see reptile carpet, but how often would you change? I also see tiles but again, just curious about cleaning. Any tips would be great :)

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi guys, new here and looking to get a bearded dragon in the next 4-6 weeks, very excited!

So I am looking at setups, but see some varying information on different sites so thought I’d ask here. Is this setup actually any good?
https://www.reptilecentre.com/info-bearded-dragon-setups - if not can anyone suggest anything better?

also I see varying info about substrate. What is the best? I see reptile carpet, but how often would you change? I also see tiles but again, just curious about cleaning. Any tips would be great :)
Sorry I could not unsterstand the websitee I use U.S dollars. But here what I know if your getting a baby then I would recommend a 40 gallon. If your getting an adoult they need at least 75 gallons but I recommend 120. For the substrate I’m trying to figure this out to. Also reptile carpet does not need to be changed you just clean it

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry I could not unsterstand the websitee I use U.S dollars. But here what I know if your getting a baby then I would recommend a 40 gallon. If your getting an adoult they need at least 75 gallons but I recommend 120. For the substrate I’m trying to figure this out to. Also reptile carpet does not need to be changed you just clean it
Apologies.

so in the UK from what I can see it’s only measurements. But using a converter, it looks like that one is a 75 gallon (https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-sizes-and-weights-1380694). Is it not okay to put a baby one in that size?
Thanks for the info for the reptile carpet - that’s useful to know

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Apologies.

so in the UK from what I can see it’s only measurements. But using a converter, it looks like that one is a 75 gallon (https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-sizes-and-weights-1380694). Is it not okay to put a baby one in that size?
Thanks for the info for the reptile carpet - that’s useful to know
I would start of with a 40 gallon or the split the 75 in two and save it for late.r a baby might get stressed or just not know how to get around

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree partition the tank off w/ maybe 1/2 off-- the lighting looks good as far as UVB and basking -- are these permanently mounted? You want the T 5 bulb not the T 8 bulb and distance if its in the tank should be 12-15 inches directly over basking decor-- the T 8 is going to need a closer distance and the tank in gallons is 88 gallon tank? The height of the tank I am getting is 19 inches -- the probe thermometers is good --- the set up looks nice but I would make the UVB bulb change for sure --- the T 5 has a expectancy of 1 year where the T 8 only 6 months and recommend changing them out 1 month prior to that -- and the T 5 is more appropriate for a bigger tank -- T 8's are usually used for smaller tanks -- for substrate I recommend a slated ceramic tile nothing real coarse but something w/ texture for non slippage --- cut to the size of the tank inside and look at your local home improvement stores if you need more info please ask -- carpet you will need to wash often and eventually buy more -- also you can use textured NON adhesive shelf liner as well

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

Ive seen this type of thing done before, these “kits” will make u spend more, the whole silver,platinum, gold thing already a scam (basicly saying “if you love your lizard you’ll spend the most money)(they’re not doing you any favors) while it may seem like a steal of a deal you’ll end up having to replace the lighting get a new tank and decor, most of the items i seen are for general lizard care , you want lizard care specifically for desert lizards. personally i just ordered a zen habitat 4x2x2 foot enclosure, theres a couple other brands that are good, if you got the money to throw at the project then id go with your gut, i bought one of these kits when i first got my beardie and over the past year I literally have thrown almost everything away (except the tank of course) Just a cautionary tale

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies are as about as basic as you can get with a desert lizards #1lighting (proper uvb,uva ,heat temps) #2 food (proper food with calcium dust for the age of your beardie-babies=crickets,roaches,bsfl, adults=Veg veg bugs) #3 enclosure (40 gal minimum for a baby , really an adult should have atleast 75 but 100+ is recommend)

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ive seen this type of thing done before, these “kits” will make u spend more, the whole silver,platinum, gold thing already a scam (basicly saying “if you love your lizard you’ll spend the most money)(they’re not doing you any favors) while it may seem like a steal of a deal you’ll end up having to replace the lighting get a new tank and decor, most of the items i seen are for general lizard care , you want lizard care specifically for desert lizards. personally i just ordered a zen habitat 4x2x2 foot enclosure, theres a couple other brands that are good, if you got the money to throw at the project then id go with your gut, i bought one of these kits when i first got my beardie and over the past year I literally have thrown almost everything away (except the tank of course) Just a cautionary tale
What lighting can you recommend or can you recommend a site that tells you what you’ll need that is right? Some I’ve seen have extra’s or things missing compared to others

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree partition the tank off w/ maybe 1/2 off-- the lighting looks good as far as UVB and basking -- are these permanently mounted? You want the T 5 bulb not the T 8 bulb and distance if its in the tank should be 12-15 inches directly over basking decor-- the T 8 is going to need a closer distance and the tank in gallons is 88 gallon tank? The height of the tank I am getting is 19 inches -- the probe thermometers is good --- the set up looks nice but I would make the UVB bulb change for sure --- the T 5 has a expectancy of 1 year where the T 8 only 6 months and recommend changing them out 1 month prior to that -- and the T 5 is more appropriate for a bigger tank -- T 8's are usually used for smaller tanks -- for substrate I recommend a slated ceramic tile nothing real coarse but something w/ texture for non slippage --- cut to the size of the tank inside and look at your local home improvement stores if you need more info please ask -- carpet you will need to wash often and eventually buy more -- also you can use textured NON adhesive shelf liner as well
The bulbs have a bulb holder for the ceramic (behind a guard) so I’m guessing hanging and not fixed ?
Apologies, I’m not sure on gallons but it looks 75 from a site converter. 88 is better I guess.
I’ll look at the T5... it just confuses me how these companies sell the lower ones that aren’t as good - ridiculous.

how do the ceramic tiles look? I remember I was told to use Wood Chips by a reptile shop when I had a beardie a good 20 years ago - shocks me to this day how pet shops take the mick and don’t care....

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bulbs have a bulb holder for the ceramic (behind a guard) so I’m guessing hanging and not fixed ?
Apologies, I’m not sure on gallons but it looks 75 from a site converter. 88 is better I guess.
I’ll look at the T5... it just confuses me how these companies sell the lower ones that aren’t as good - ridiculous.

how do the ceramic tiles look? I remember I was told to use Wood Chips by a reptile shop when I had a beardie a good 20 years ago - shocks me to this day how pet shops take the mick and don’t care....
Please do not use wood chips- they can cause internal injuries if ingested --- here is a piece of my ceramic tile - it is slated and has some texture for traction -- I dont know why the UK and other countries use the T 8 -- here is a website to find some Arcadias https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/
Arcadias are really good bulbs ---

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please do not use wood chips- they can cause internal injuries if ingested --- here is a piece of my ceramic tile - it is slated and has some texture for traction -- I dont know why the UK and other countries use the T 8 -- here is a website to find some Arcadias https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/
Arcadias are really good bulbs ---
Oh no, I wouldn’t get wood chips now, but it’s just shocking how years ago pet shops said to do it.

With the T5, which percentage would be needed?
Also this is going to be a dumb question - with the 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor, how would this work if the basking light is directly above it? When you say 12-15 inches do you mean distance in height?

The ceramic tile looks great! - really different

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh no, I wouldn’t get wood chips now, but it’s just shocking how years ago pet shops said to do it.

With the T5, which percentage would be needed?
Also this is going to be a dumb question - with the 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor, how would this work if the basking light is directly above it? When you say 12-15 inches do you mean distance in height?

The ceramic tile looks great! - really different
You need the Arcadia 12% desert bulb it's equivalent to the T 5- and yes 12-15 inches in height above the basking decor - it does not haft to be next to basking bulb but optimal if you can --you can set the UVB in the middle of tank or as close to the basking light as possible- he will go to the lights as needed-

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need the Arcadia 12% desert bulb it's equivalent to the T 5- and yes 12-15 inches in height above the basking decor - it does not haft to be next to basking bulb but optimal if you can --you can set the UVB in the middle of tank or as close to the basking light as possible- he will go to the lights as needed-
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I’ll get that one! :) The other things on that list, are they the usual stuff you’d need, are they overselling or again is it stuff that is needed but those specifics aren’t great?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I’ll get that one! :) The other things on that list, are they the usual stuff you’d need, are they overselling or again is it stuff that is needed but those specifics aren’t great?
In US dollars I dont know what your spending- if you could not get the cabinet and look for a used dresser or stand where you are like in a used furniture store or second hand store you would save money there -- I dont know if you can not order the stand / cabinet but I would check into it - I picked up a used dresser w/ drawers here in the states at a used furniture store for $40 - it works great and the drawers are very handy for the dragons stuff-- I am not familiar w/ the micro climate dimmer but I know people that use them --- not that brand but dimmers-- why are they selling sealant for a dragons tank? This makes no sense

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
In US dollars I dont know what your spending- if you could not get the cabinet and look for a used dresser or stand where you are like in a used furniture store or second hand store you would save money there -- I dont know if you can not order the stand / cabinet but I would check into it - I picked up a used dresser w/ drawers here in the states at a used furniture store for $40 - it works great and the drawers are very handy for the dragons stuff-- I am not familiar w/ the micro climate dimmer but I know people that use them --- not that brand but dimmers-- why are they selling sealant for a dragons tank? This makes no sense
So with that set you can untick things you don’t want/need. The sealant and I’m not sure on, so that I wouldn’t be purchasing.
I’ve had a look in the UK for stands elsewhere to save money but they are either too big or too small - but I’m still looking.

just more concerned with getting a viv too big/small or equipment that isn’t any good which can cause issues for the beardie. Defo getting the T5 bulb though so thanks for that

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So with that set you can untick things you don’t want/need. The sealant and I’m not sure on, so that I wouldn’t be purchasing.
I’ve had a look in the UK for stands elsewhere to save money but they are either too big or too small - but I’m still looking.

just more concerned with getting a viv too big/small or equipment that isn’t any good which can cause issues for the beardie. Defo getting the T5 bulb though so thanks for that
you do not need a sealant for the tank I am not getting why they would sell that for a bearded dragon tank --- do they have used furniture stores where you are -- second hand stores like a good will or a catholic charities ? places where people donate used goods etc --- the solar bulb is fine as long as its a bright white bulb - that bulb is important for starting digestion and keeping temps to what they need to be --- those two bulbs are the most important things in that tank -- it will control the overall health and behavior of the dragon - plus the placement of the UVB is crucial as well --

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
you do not need a sealant for the tank I am not getting why they would sell that for a bearded dragon tank --- do they have used furniture stores where you are -- second hand stores like a good will or a catholic charities ? places where people donate used goods etc --- the solar bulb is fine as long as its a bright white bulb - that bulb is important for starting digestion and keeping temps to what they need to be --- those two bulbs are the most important things in that tank -- it will control the overall health and behavior of the dragon - plus the placement of the UVB is crucial as well --
In terms of the UV bulb, what length would you suggest for a 4ft Vivarium?

Latest posts