• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this behaviour normal?

tehnath

Bearded Dragon Egg

I took this video of my juvenile beardies in the hope someone could 'translate' and help me to understand their behaviour.

Here's the story: I have two siblings, about 20 weeks old; one is female, one is male. They're kept in the same vivarium and are very healthy from what I can tell. There's no show of domination when they're in their vivarium, but most times that I let them out together to explore, something along the lines of what's in the video happens. It only lasts a few seconds, and aside from that they're quite happy exploring, climbing and hiding in tight spaces.

The slightly larger one standing still when the video starts is the female. And of course, the one that runs into shot and bashes her is the male.

From what I've gathered from reading online, when one bobs their head, they're saying "I'm the boss" and if the other waves, they're submitting. I also read that if the other bobs their head back, it's like a stand-off.

What I'm asking is whether what's happening in the video is something to be worried about, or whether it's just a natural test of authority given the new surroundings.

I appreciate any answers you can give; it'll help a lot!

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
bearded dragons are not social animals and should not be housed together. females can sometimes be together as long as dominance doesnt stress them out. males can not be together as they will fight sometimes to death, and, males and females cannot be housed together unless you are breeding and even then its only for a day or two. males and females together will always be stressed because of breeding and it will literally make one or both of them sick and just generally unhealthy. if these guys have been together a while and act fine in their enclosure but act up when taken out its because its new territory to both and dominance has to be established all over again. what you see in the video is what part of the breeding process looks like and although it may be cute to some, eventually gets rough and can be dangerous. if they are 20 weeks old then now is definitely the time to separate them. ive seen these little interludes result in missing arms and and tails as their bite is nothing to joke about. hope im not bringing you down.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
bearded dragons are not social animals and should not be housed together. females can sometimes be together as long as dominance doesnt stress them out. males can not be together as they will fight sometimes to death, and, males and females cannot be housed together unless you are breeding and even then its only for a day or two. males and females together will always be stressed because of breeding and it will literally make one or both of them sick and just generally unhealthy. if these guys have been together a while and act fine in their enclosure but act up when taken out its because its new territory to both and dominance has to be established all over again. what you see in the video is what part of the breeding process looks like and although it may be cute to some, eventually gets rough and can be dangerous. if they are 20 weeks old then now is definitely the time to separate them. ive seen these little interludes result in missing arms and and tails as their bite is nothing to joke about. hope im not bringing you down.
Agreed ^

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To add to what has already been said.

There is the Sibling breeding issue along with Males generally mature sexually more quickly than the females. You may be setting it up for your young Female to become Gravid, long before her Body is ready to handle the whole process, which can lead to some serious health complications.

Good Luck,

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
dident click the link i already had a good idea of whats wrong

there face to face in fighting stance they are not social as mentioned above please refrain from letting them run around together if there the same sex i bathe mine together and have no problems there cousins and actually enjoy each others company but i dont keep mixed genders together or two males for any period of time even bathing

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
what part of showing dominance is normal and okay to prolong there stress levels especially being that he said he houses them together? its an accident waiting to happen
You know my opinion :( though expressed a little too strongly in your other post. Sorry again! It will lead to one of them losing tail bits, toes, feet... or more :(. Dragons don't like being around each other except to mate. Even if it's a male/female being kept together. Dominance is always in question unless one is willingly submissive and it doesn't happen often, because it's not in their nature to be submissive. They will constantly have dominance wars.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
and this is why they shouldent be aloud to run around together they will bite she has given some very ill advised posts today and we have to make sure the right information is given or the site will get a bad reputation id rather be aggressive and correct that docile and wrong im quite friendly in person but theres alot of misinformation on the forums about bearded dragons or outdated info

Latest posts