• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a Dandelion ????

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx SamTX,

I am still wondering though, if the so called "false Dandelion" is poisonous or not.....

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is what i found.....But as far as specific to the Bearded Dragon im not sure.

Toxicity
Catsear is considered a noxious weed in pastures and lawn. Currently it is only classified as noxious - not toxic or harmful for livestock.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
JustaV said:
This is what i found.....But as far as specific to the Bearded Dragon im not sure.

Toxicity
Catsear is considered a noxious weed in pastures and lawn. Currently it is only classified as noxious - not toxic or harmful for livestock.

Based on that, I think I'd rather err on the side of safety than to try it and hope for the best.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Me tool she will just have to ve happy with her endives for now

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The seeds are used in kidney cleansing herbal tinctures.. I'd avoid that myself.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, I think I got a REAL dandelion here . . . .

Its a tallish plant, yellow flowers and white fluffy seeds. Hollow stems with white milky stuff if you break it off. Leaves are raggedy with NO hairs. What do you think?????

Plant
SNC00548.jpg

Hollow stems (Sorry but a bit out of focus)
SNC00551.jpg

Leaves
SNC00550.jpg

Flower and seeds
SNC00549.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
OK, I think I got a REAL dandelion here . . . .

Its a tallish plant, yellow flowers and white fluffy seeds. Hollow stems with white milky stuff if you break it off. Leaves are raggedy with NO hairs. What do you think?????

No....sorry. That's a false. The real dandelions that I know of have singular tubes with a single flower. The edges of the leaves aren't ragged like the ones I see in those pics.

Here's a couple more pics of the dandelions we have over here.
dandelion2.jpg

seeds
Dandelion.jpg

greens
dandelion-greens-lg.jpg

6a00d8341ca64353ef0120a8705c5b970b-400wi

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
looks like you've come across another variation of False Dandelion. There are several, all going by different names. The good news is that they aren't toxic, in any variation. Eat some. You find some sweet, and some sort of bitter, but none will make you sick.

I'm unsure the nutritional value in false dandelion, and don't know what to tell you about countering any negatives it may hold if properly propagated from the wild. I know that they use a mix of many false dandelions, dandelions, chicory and other blends for Mediterranean turtles......not that it applies here......but it's rather kewl because a turtle system is more sensitive than a dragons.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
looks like you've come across another variation of False Dandelion. There are several, all going by different names. The good news is that they aren't toxic, in any variation. Eat some. You find some sweet, and some sort of bitter, but none will make you sick.

I'm unsure the nutritional value in false dandelion, and don't know what to tell you about countering any negatives it may hold if properly propagated from the wild. I know that they use a mix of many false dandelions, dandelions, chicory and other blends for Mediterranean turtles......not that it applies here......but it's rather kewl because a turtle system is more sensitive than a dragons.

So the fact that they're considered noxious isn't really a big deal?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
noxious is probably the most ill conceived word. lol
we assume it means toxic............when it really means that our mindset reflects it as an irritating weed. Unwanted, and therefore detrimental to our lawns.....hence........living thing

depending on which plant you use, will depend on the taste. A couple of them I've found bitter and not appealing at all. They leave that dry, asprin taste in my mouth.

however, without knowing it's properties, it's not something i'd feed to my animal. All i've stated is that it's not toxic to her.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
noxious is probably the most ill conceived word. lol
we assume it means toxic............when it really means that our mindset reflects it as an irritating weed. Unwanted, and therefore detrimental to our lawns.....hence........living thing

depending on which plant you use, will depend on the taste. A couple of them I've found bitter and not appealing at all. They leave that dry, asprin taste in my mouth.

however, without knowing it's properties, it's not something i'd feed to my animal. All i've stated is that it's not toxic to her.

Thanks Gina.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
however, without knowing it's properties, it's not something I'd feed to my animal. All I've stated is that it's not toxic to her.

Yeah guess the search is still on LOL

Do wonder what she would think of the taste though . . . . cos I don't think I'll be the tester here. Don't like bitter, and with my luck it will taste like a malaria prophylaxis . . . .Eeeeuk!!!

Kallander_likes_lizards

Bearded Dragon Egg

Do wonder what she would think of the taste though . . . . cos I don't think I'll be the tester here. Don't like bitter, and with my luck it will taste like a malaria prophylaxis . . . .Eeeeuk!!!
I tasted one lmao it wasn’t that bad and my buddy seemed to like it! I always taste something before giving it to him or even when he runs away and eats a random weed I’ll taste it then google to hell out of it to make sure he’s ok

Kallander_likes_lizards

Bearded Dragon Egg

Oh lord this is 13 years old just realized that