• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there something wrong or is she a swimmer? + shed

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, me again.
Navi is having some shedding problems and I know that one of the easiest things you can do to help is lukewarm baths bot not every day.
So I did just that, luke warn water, for around 10 minutes, she has a towel on one of the side so she can climb out anytime she wants (she does know she can get out, she did it a few times but then returned) so all is well except few things.
1. I know some beardies like to swim, but I am also aware that its not good if water gets into their ears, they can get sick and such, and she kinda keeps diving her head down and the ears are under the water at that point, do they have some kind of, "covers" or something? or should I step in when she does it? should I put less water?
2. she scratches herself, but as soon as I get her out of the bath, she stops. Is it natural or could it be that it is not comfortable, or maybe bad water? (too much chlorine or iron or something?)
3. other ideas how to help her shed? I asked this once before, that it´ll come off by itself but now she is shedding her torso and her tail -again. and this is the 2nd layer on her tail, I am becoming concerned if it will come off and i don´t want her loosing her tail because of it. The shed itsnt like, early that is doesnt wanna stick off her body, there just isn´t any opening, it could start shedding of off if you get me.

I shared a video i recorded so you can judge the behavior yourselves.
I will really appreciate any help.

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
I should probably add that it is not small pieces of shed, its her whole tail, thats why it is so worrying to me, her top part of the head doesnt wanna shed either and same with her torso from both up and under, but that might be cause its a torso and it takes longer, but the tail really worries me. I can take closer photos if needed

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Everything in that video looked super normal and cute. How's the shed coming off?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, me again.
Navi is having some shedding problems and I know that one of the easiest things you can do to help is lukewarm baths bot not every day.
So I did just that, luke warn water, for around 10 minutes, she has a towel on one of the side so she can climb out anytime she wants (she does know she can get out, she did it a few times but then returned) so all is well except few things.
1. I know some beardies like to swim, but I am also aware that its not good if water gets into their ears, they can get sick and such, and she kinda keeps diving her head down and the ears are under the water at that point, do they have some kind of, "covers" or something? or should I step in when she does it? should I put less water?
2. she scratches herself, but as soon as I get her out of the bath, she stops. Is it natural or could it be that it is not comfortable, or maybe bad water? (too much chlorine or iron or something?)
3. other ideas how to help her shed? I asked this once before, that it´ll come off by itself but now she is shedding her torso and her tail -again. and this is the 2nd layer on her tail, I am becoming concerned if it will come off and i don´t want her loosing her tail because of it. The shed itsnt like, early that is doesnt wanna stick off her body, there just isn´t any opening, it could start shedding of off if you get me.

I shared a video i recorded so you can judge the behavior yourselves.
I will really appreciate any help.
Hi; the reason for the scratching is 2reasons; 1st of all chlorine is harmful to their skin and dries it out; so unless u have a filter system in your home buy REPTISAFE ASAP from the pet store to kill the chlorine. 2ndly; she’s getting ready to shed, so more baths in a clean sink again with some drops of reptisafe in lukewarm dechlorinated water for a minimum of 15min when she’s shedding. Typically it’s 2baths a week but when shedding u can do a few more. Try that this will help the itching and make sure the water level is way below her ears cuz yes they can get an Upper Respitatory infection which needs a vet & antibiotics. U can keep her bathing dish in tank just lower the water a bit and never leave it in the tank overnite. Using reptisafe will help her itchy skin from drying out. And relax on the shedding it will fall off slowly.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh that is cute, I believe josh is right, looks like normal bath time fun to me :) , don’t worry about the shed, my girls tail took 2 months to finish, if ur worried your water is hard id get the solution julee mentioned.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I forgot i cant upload videos so here goes the video: Bath video -
Sooo cute. My guy will scratch in the water when he's shedding, too. I have natural spring water that's been tested and is good enough to bottle and sell. No hard minerals or chlorine. After watching him do this a few times I realized that it just must be itchy in some spots or feel like a bug or something when the shed floats in the water and lightly touches him.

Agree. Not only adorable, but he does the same thing my guy does in a bath. :)

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Hi; the reason for the scratching is 2reasons; 1st of all chlorine is harmful to their skin and dries it out; so unless u have a filter system in your home buy REPTISAFE ASAP from the pet store to kill the chlorine. 2ndly; she’s getting ready to shed, so more baths in a clean sink again with some drops of reptisafe in lukewarm dechlorinated water for a minimum of 15min when she’s shedding. Typically it’s 2baths a week but when shedding u can do a few more. Try that this will help the itching and make sure the water level is way below her ears cuz yes they can get an Upper Respitatory infection which needs a vet & antibiotics. U can keep her bathing dish in tank just lower the water a bit and never leave it in the tank overnite. Using reptisafe will help her itchy skin from drying out. And relax on the shedding it will fall off slowly.
Okay i thought that maybe the water might be a little bit of a problem, Im from czech republic and in our parts we have the most clean water there is, but it is still not ideal. I´ll look into the resolution for chlorine, although we are in lockdown rn so its quite difficult in with online shops. Thanks for the info!

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Sooo cute. My guy will scratch in the water when he's shedding, too. I have natural spring water that's been tested and is good enough to bottle and sell. No hard minerals or chlorine. After watching him do this a few times I realized that it just must be itchy in some spots or feel like a bug or something when the shed floats in the water and lightly touches him.

Agree. Not only adorable, but he does the same thing my guy does in a bath. :)
Yeah i think it might a combination of itchy shed and hard water, since it really is not quite the best where I live but it also looked like she was trying to get the shed off so that´s that I suppose.

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Oh that is cute, I believe josh is right, looks like normal bath time fun to me :) , don’t worry about the shed, my girls tail took 2 months to finish, if ur worried your water is hard id get the solution julee mentioned.
Okay, thanks for a bit of reassurence, but it has been more than 2 months for her tail that´s why i´ve been a bit more concerned, but it has started to come off after today so i think it will be fine from now on.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, thanks for a bit of reassurence, but it has been more than 2 months for her tail that´s why i´ve been a bit more concerned, but it has started to come off after today so i think it will be fine from now on.
If it helps my guy has a hard time shedding his tail, too. First thing to start shedding and the last part to get done. I usually have to help it along with a soft toothbrush when he gets his baths. So far, he hasn't had a shed where his tail didn't give him troubles. Glad to hear it's starting to come off. :) Yay!

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Here are just some photos of her from right now, its late so her light will be turned off soon and she is already about to sleep. Thank you all for the advice and info!

Attachments

• 165121940_138307541544451_3954020881777818758_n.jpg
    165121940_138307541544451_3954020881777818758_n.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 164578342_1113904922461513_4334888210935136720_n.jpg
    164578342_1113904922461513_4334888210935136720_n.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 6

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea her shed doesn’t look ready to me, but thats just my opinion, if you have a pair of tweezers , try and go under the scales, and pry, you never want to pull, if it doesn’t budge its not ready, im glad some came off, when my beardie shed her tail the very tip was the last part to shed, dont freak out if that part takes another week to shed.

Latest posts