• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is slate a good substrate? If so how should i go about placing the tiles/covering the gaps?

TexasReptiles

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just picked up 3 20inx10in slate tiles for using in my bearded dragons enclosure. He currently used habistat bearded dragon mix which I personally despise but my breeder gave me it when i bought him. I know slate at the very least is safe and not as slippery as other tiled substrates but is there anything i need to know about placing it? I dont really want to use grout as it would take a while to dry, but i dont want to just leave gaps incase he hurts himself. Electric tape was a thought, but i know tape can cause serious injuries to reptiles. I wasnt sure about electric tape though as its heat resistant and self adhering?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just picked up 3 20inx10in slate tiles for using in my bearded dragons enclosure. He currently used habistat bearded dragon mix which I personally despise but my breeder gave me it when i bought him. I know slate at the very least is safe and not as slippery as other tiled substrates but is there anything i need to know about placing it? I dont really want to use grout as it would take a while to dry, but i dont want to just leave gaps incase he hurts himself. Electric tape was a thought, but i know tape can cause serious injuries to reptiles. I wasnt sure about electric tape though as its heat resistant and self adhering?
The tile should be cut w/a tile cutter to avoid jagged edges - slate gets really hot --- I would test it under your basking lamp and basking side- if it gets hotter than 110 thats surface basking temps using a digital probe thermometer I would not use it - you will burn your dragon- I was using all tile in my two tanks but switched to a Zen Habitats rubber mat on the whole tank they are cut to fit a 4x2x2 tank w/ 2 pieces of slated ceramic tile placed in the center of the tank they run the width not length of the tank - keeps the nails down --- another option is using textured NON adhesive shelf liner and maybe a couple of pieces of tile --- tile is hard on their joints that is why I changed over - if you want a pic of the tile I am using and the rubber mat in the tank I can post if you like - I do not recommend sealing the tile as you are going to need to pull them for a good cleaning and sealing / grouting will not allow that - you can find the rubber mat if interested at Zen Habitats or Pet Smart sells them now too - the shelf liner you can find at Walmart or your local home improvement store

TexasReptiles

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tile should be cut w/a tile cutter to avoid jagged edges - slate gets really hot --- I would test it under your basking lamp and basking side- if it gets hotter than 110 thats surface basking temps using a digital probe thermometer I would not use it - you will burn your dragon- I was using all tile in my two tanks but switched to a Zen Habitats rubber mat on the whole tank they are cut to fit a 4x2x2 tank w/ 2 pieces of slated ceramic tile placed in the center of the tank they run the width not length of the tank - keeps the nails down --- another option is using textured NON adhesive shelf liner and maybe a couple of pieces of tile --- tile is hard on their joints that is why I changed over - if you want a pic of the tile I am using and the rubber mat in the tank I can post if you like - I do not recommend sealing the tile as you are going to need to pull them for a good cleaning and sealing / grouting will not allow that - you can find the rubber mat if interested at Zen Habitats or Pet Smart sells them now too - the shelf liner you can find at Walmart or your local home improvement store
Hey man i really appreciate the idea of a rubber mat. I was thinking of going down that road with vinyl but it was just the proposition of it getting hot and releasing fumes that put me off. Id happily take a look at that zen habitats rubber mat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey man i really appreciate the idea of a rubber mat. I was thinking of going down that road with vinyl but it was just the proposition of it getting hot and releasing fumes that put me off. Id happily take a look at that zen habitats rubber mat.
Ok so try www.zenhabitats.com --- also I was going to say measure the tank inside for the tile if your going all tile --

Latest posts