• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is my beardie going into shed?

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
just curious.....i noticed him doing a little rubbing a few days ago then not since. today i noticed this line on the back of his neck and he looks kinda dull.....any insight?

68da2cf79ab1897f92440e73a7c93ae2.jpg

e5af1966460471071159457ec2eba513.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes looks like a shed is happening.. This process pretty much can be different every time a leg here a tail .... mine usually does tail first, then her legs then her back and belly then head.. You can help by increasing soak times but don't pull the shed off as you can damage the scales underneath. Oh and don't be surprised if they eat it that's pretty normal.

Oh I see that you are using sand as a substrate, please be careful as they can ingest the sand and that can cause impaction issues. It can also cause eye damage when they dig around.. It usually is not recommended especially for babies and juvies. Paper towels, tile, contact paper are good options.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yep def shed! I miss those days when my dragons would shed in big areas like that. Now it's in bits and pieces. Don't pull the shed off but during a bath you can rub it with a very soft baby toothbrush or a washcloth,in the direction the scales go.

As far as the sand goes use caution. If you still want to use sand don't use the calcium sand use children's play sand, it's safer. The calcium sand can clump inside their belly and cause serious problems. If your beardie is well hydrated sand shouldn't cause an issue with impaction but there are other issues like Hdrydr31 mentioned like getting it in their eyes. There's also a bacterial issue even if you clean the poop up right away some of the liquids are still staying in the sand.

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
223d21e9e8c2b1bb24ffa9cf644e8c6d.jpg
e93b792c9843d2f53e05dd9145c0a7d4.jpg

yea i mist him every 2-3 days he'll also drink from his water bowl in between mistings. the sand is what was in the tank when he was given to me.

not shocking that its bad, considering he only had one basking light in a 5.5 inch dome and no other lights.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's a cutie, do you give him baths? Warm water up to his elbows, mine likes to do her business during bath time, easier on the clean up too just pull the drain and refill lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor baby, glad you rescued him. Baths would be good, lukewarm water up to the elbow. You will see the shed start to loosen up in no time.

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
yea s/he is missing claws on entire back left foot and a few on the front right....so far i havent noticed any affect he still climbs just fine

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea s/he is missing claws on entire back left foot and a few on the front right....so far i havent noticed any affect he still climbs just fine

Awe poor baby, They are amazing at how they adapt to what they have. S/he is beautiful!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cutie :) They know when we are watching haha I've tried to video Izzy or any of our critters and they just know... lol Never fails after you've stopped they do what we wanted to video.... lol

ObiThaGod

Hatchling Dragon
so i have to pull my foot out of my mouth ....in doing some rearranging of bulbs and domes i realized the one light the original owner was using is a reptisun 100w.....so maybe he was kinda right about needing only the 1 bulb smh

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Maybe has some citrus in him. Are his nails clear? Now that he's shedding off that yucky orange dye, it's a good time to get him off the calci-sand ;)

Latest posts