• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is my beard impacted?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
so I asked before why me beardie isnt eating but my new question is could he be impacted? although he is still not eating he also is constantly had a black beard and is lethargic. everyday he poops but either nothing comes out or is is very little. He usually never tries to poop as much but right now it is daily. I also noticed at night that his belly seems to be pushed out but there is nothing in his stomach because he hasn't eaten in almost two weeks! could this be impactation?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so I asked before why me beardie isnt eating but my new question is could he be impacted? although he is still not eating he also is constantly had a black beard and is lethargic. everyday he poops but either nothing comes out or is is very little. He usually never tries to poop as much but right now it is daily. I also noticed at night that his belly seems to be pushed out but there is nothing in his stomach because he hasn't eaten in almost two weeks! could this be impactation?
Please go over the basking surface temps? How are you taking them ? UVB coil or a tube? How old is the bulb? Hes only going to poop out what he puts in -- what are you feeding for insects? Is he hydrated? That is important for them to poop-- black beard and lethargic is not good black beard is hes in distress or in pain -- what kind of substrate is he on?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Please go over the basking surface temps? How are you taking them ? UVB coil or a tube? How old is the bulb? Hes only going to poop out what he puts in -- what are you feeding for insects? Is he hydrated? That is important for them to poop-- black beard and lethargic is not good black beard is hes in distress or in pain -- what kind of substrate is he on?
His set up is all good. Basking temps are about 90-95 and he has a tube UVB that is pretty new, usually only feed him silkworms, superworms, and some waxworms. The only substrate he has is the floor of his zen habitat tank, paper towels and a few ceramic tiles. I’m not sure what is happening he constantly has a black beard and his stomach seemed to be very full

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His set up is all good. Basking temps are about 90-95 and he has a tube UVB that is pretty new, usually only feed him silkworms, superworms, and some waxworms. The only substrate he has is the floor of his zen habitat tank, paper towels and a few ceramic tiles. I’m not sure what is happening he constantly has a black beard and his stomach seemed to be very full
Please post a pic of the tank ---- please get surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe theremometer- what brand and bulb of the UVB please --- it needs to be a T 5 -- are you feeding any salads? Substrate is good -- black bearding is not good - hes in distress or in pain -- I can better help you if I can see your tank

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Please post a pic of the tank ---- please get surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe theremometer- what brand and bulb of the UVB please --- it needs to be a T 5 -- are you feeding any salads? Substrate is good -- black bearding is not good - hes in distress or in pain -- I can better help you if I can see your tank
He is very very picky and he doesn’t mind kale or other leafy greens so that is what I offer him but he usually doesn’t finish the full salad. He has a T5 Acadia tube and I have attached pictures down below of his tank

Attachments

• 8FD2A943-F164-4091-80C8-D9115F1F241B.jpeg
    8FD2A943-F164-4091-80C8-D9115F1F241B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • CCF6C272-CD02-4D52-B691-0823325075AB.jpeg
    CCF6C272-CD02-4D52-B691-0823325075AB.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is very very picky and he doesn’t mind kale or other leafy greens so that is what I offer him but he usually doesn’t finish the full salad. He has a T5 Acadia tube and I have attached pictures down below of his tank
Ok so the tank looks nice --- I would get the UVB inside the tank -- directly above a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches --- the screen is blocking 30% of those rays --- here is a pic of my Zen I am using the middle bars on the screen inside the tank -- you can use long zip lock ties or 3 M velcro command fasteners --

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 13

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Ok so the tank looks nice --- I would get the UVB inside the tank -- directly above a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches --- the screen is blocking 30% of those rays --- here is a pic of my Zen I am using the middle bars on the screen inside the tank -- you can use long zip lock ties or 3 M velcro command fasteners --
oh ok thank you! would that be too close to where he is basking though?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh ok thank you! would that be too close to where he is basking though?
Move the uvb into the tank - not on the back wall tho out from it - get a piece of your decor place it directly under the uvb 12-15 inches- and yes what is the hammocks distance from the basking bulb? You can try and get them together but you need the distance 12-15 inches- I have 2 basking spots in my tank - a basking bulb sits on top of the screen behind the uvb - that rock is in the 90's

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Move the uvb into the tank - not on the back wall tho out from it - get a piece of your decor place it directly under the uvb 12-15 inches- and yes what is the hammocks distance from the basking bulb? You can try and get them together but you need the distance 12-15 inches- I have 2 basking spots in my tank - a basking bulb sits on top of the screen behind the uvb - that rock is in the 90's
We took him to the vet today and he is doing very bad right now! He is completely lethargic and is now resting. For some reason he is lurching his mouth back and it slightly open. What could this mean??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We took him to the vet today and he is doing very bad right now! He is completely lethargic and is now resting. For some reason he is lurching his mouth back and it slightly open. What could this mean??
Please post a pic of the dragon-- did you get the UVB moved into the tank? What did the vet say is going on?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe he died I have no idea what happened I am truly heartbroken
That is terrible--- I am so sorry --- what did the vet say? Any blood work done or X rays? I am shocked at your post I was not expecting this ---

Latest posts