• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it ok to completely replace crickets with supers?

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just measured Loki today, and he's 17 inches long (would be around 18.5 if he didn't lose part of his tail), and six months old. :D I'm really happy with how much he's growing. My problem is that I have a mother who hates all "icky crawly things," including my lizard and his food. :( So she wants me to get rid of the crickets asap, and I'm assuming that supers are much easier to keep. I know they have a high phosphorus content, but I give him liquid calcium via injection to the mouth. Will switching him over to supers (after a trial period to see if they pass alright) be a safe idea? I'll still get him crickets sometimes, but it'd mostly be the worms.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
can't answer your question on the worms but WOW he is huge already

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup! He grew like a full inch in like a week and a half, and now he dwarfs my guinea pig. I'm proud of him ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may want to remember, that variety is the key to balance in all things.
We can survive, yes on steaks, but we are considerably healthier when we add milk, vegetables, fruits and grains to our diets.. The same holds true for your reptile. A diet solely on supers will be lacking in nutrients needed for a well balanced, healthy dragon. However... there isn't anything saying you have to do crickets as the main part of the diet. You can mix in those wonderful dubia roaches, supers, horn worms, and crickets as well, to round out that part of his diet..
His greens too, will help to provide that balance too.

Hope this helps.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, I just tried feeding him some supers and he ate both of them at the same time with one bite. XD And then afterwards he went back into his house and ate a bunch of salad, too.

http://img.imgcake.com/IMG2166JPGud.jpg

Oy, what a fat lizard. How many supers is it safe to feed at once / per day?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How many supers is it safe to feed at once / per day?

Well like you said youre just introducing them, so check the poop and if its OK feed 3 next time and wait for poop again. Then if all goes well and they pass fine suppose you can feed as many as he will eat in approx 10 mins.... please correct me if this is wrong

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thought it was no more then 5 a day, or is this only for adults?

Latest posts