• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it legal and possible for a breeder to sue a client ?

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it legal and possible for a breeder to sue a client for breaking a contract ? Even tho it's not signed by a notary or advocate but only created by the buyer and signed by the seller.

I am new to this business, and I was doing my research about all the laws and conditions for breeding reptiles in Canada to do everything legally and safely. So I asked myself,
" Am I allowed to request from my clients in my contract buyer/seller to not breed the reptiles that they buy from me? If yes, then am I allowed to sue them if they break that contract? For how much? "

Since dog breeders can, why reptile breeders wouldn't ? There is already almost no laws and protections of captive reptiles, nor there is on their breeding and selling. So I'm concerned about it.
Would someone know anything about it?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Idk breeding laws in canada, but if they sign a contract, they’re adhearing to said contract by signing it, its kinda hard to enforce though, as you cant make them “fix” their bearded dragon like you would have someone do with a dog,….Are u gonna go to their house and make shure they’re not breeding said dragon? Especially If u sold a male to them, good luck enforcing it…i think ud need some major paperwork in order to sue, especially having it notarized, or having a 3rd party be there for said signature… idk anything about law,… only that there’s more loopholes than laws….

yuuishi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Idk breeding laws in canada, but if they sign a contract, they’re adhearing to said contract by signing it, its kinda hard to enforce though, as you cant make them “fix” their bearded dragon like you would have someone do with a dog,….Are u gonna go to their house and make shure they’re not breeding said dragon? Especially If u sold a male to them, good luck enforcing it…i think ud need some major paperwork in order to sue, especially having it notarized, or having a 3rd party be there for said signature… idk anything about law,… only that there’s more loopholes than laws….
My point is not that I want to sue or pursue anyone, but more like to be sure I won't have any legal problems by saying in the contract that my clients could have certain consequences if they don't adhere to it.

Like I said, there's literally almost no laws concerning either breeding or keeping reptiles in Canada, which means more risks of inappropriate care. My only point is to avoid as much as possible unconscious breeding that some could do cause " oh its easy money so why not " and not know what to do with neither the babies nor female afterwards.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That definitely is a tough one because reptiles aren’t the same as dogs and there have been instances of accidental pregnancies. And considering fixing them isn’t necessary unless there is a health problem. It’s also kind of unheard of to not be allowed to breed them or at least in the part of Canada I’m in

Latest posts