• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is George eating too much?

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Man, George is a huge eater...She easily eats a a dozen and a half crickets a day and 2 small bowls of collard greens. I'm not over feeding am I? She poops everyday sometimes twice and like I said she just tears the crickets up...Also, George saw herself in the glass the other day. She didn't puff up or black beard, but she attacked the glass like she was going to eat her own reflection LOLOL...

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope not over feeding. When Piggy was little she would eat about 120 crix a day and a small bowl of greens

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
staylor said:
Nope not over feeding. When Piggy was little she would eat about 120 crix a day and a small bowl of greens

Wow that is a lot of crickets...I don't feel so bad now. George ate 3 dozen crickets between yesterday at 12pm to about today at 11am. So about 3 dozen a day she seems to be happy with. Now here's another question: When can I decrease her protein intake? I was told that as juveniles, they need more proteins like crickets to help them grow. But I've gotta think budget in my household and was just wondering if her only getting live food once or twice a week would be harmful. I do have standby food in case of emergencies (some juvenile pellet form she sometimes like that and some grasshoppers that are more of a treat, but nutritionally seems not 2 bad either).

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
With my Not so little guy, he told me when he wanted to decrease. at about 6 months old he started slowing down a little and then around 11 months old he took another step. Now he is eating ton of his salad everyday but only wants Protein once a day and sometimes even skips a day.

When dragons are little they can eat you out of house and home.

Just an FYI but pellets really are not that great for them and most Dragons won't eat them unless they absolutely have to.

Fliehigh

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Fliehigh said:
With my Not so little guy, he told me when he wanted to decrease. at about 6 months old he started slowing down a little and then around 11 months old he took another step. Now he is eating ton of his salad everyday but only wants Protein once a day and sometimes even skips a day.

When dragons are little they can eat you out of house and home.

Just an FYI but pellets really are not that great for them and most Dragons won't eat them unless they absolutely have to.

Fliehigh

I don't use the pellets that much...Only when I am going to be gone overnight I put some in there. I am home at the moment so I have the time to prepare her food for her...It's just a standby just in case I guess LOL...But the nutritional value on it actually isn't that bad.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With piggy she cut herself down. She is 11 months old and she cut herself down to about 30 a day. It was a gradual decrease over the past 2 months. It is great that I don't have to order so many crix anymore. Live feeders can get expensive but it does not last forever. Are you order whole sale crix or getting them from a pet store?

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
staylor said:
With piggy she cut herself down. She is 11 months old and she cut herself down to about 30 a day. It was a gradual decrease over the past 2 months. It is great that I don't have to order so many crix anymore. Live feeders can get expensive but it does not last forever. Are you order whole sale crix or getting them from a pet store?

I get them from the pet store...I only get small quantities because to be honest, they smell so damn bad I can't stand more then a few dozen at a time. Plus, the Petsmart here next 2 me seems to have the best quality crickets. When I get the crickets from other pet stores, they don't live long and they're just too big for him. They sell me the 2/3 grown crickets and they're all gut loaded when I get them. The other ones I get from the smaller shops are big, nasty, and I think George is a little intimidated by a full grown cricket.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't remember how old George is, but babies tend to eat anywhere from 50 to 75 crickets per day. They have a lot of growing to do. Once your dragon reaches the 1 year mark, salad will be his daily staple and proteins will be offered about 3 times per week.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies will eat their fill within 10 minutes of first being offered his food. So, for a 3 1/2 month old, I would feed him proteins 2-3 times per day. Let him eat his fill within 10 minutes and call it a day. You can drop 10 in at a time so he is not overwhelmed with crickets hopping around.

Remember to feed 1 hour after lights are on and at least an hour before lights are off.

Latest posts