• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is 14% too much?

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys, so as you may know, we upgraded our viv to a 120gal. Broly has been in it for a few days now but I can’t tell if something is a little off or not?

He has been a little off his food since the move (he is eating but a lot less than usual and he needs a little more encouragement). He is still taking water as usual from dripping on the top of his nose and is still pooing and weeing daily (they look healthy). I understand with the move and him currently shedding it’s quite normal for him to be off his food and a little moody. He does appear to be losing a bit of weight but not a concerning amount. He also has active periods of the day where he is very alert and exploring a little more.

My main concern is that he has taken to hiding behind decor in the warm area out of the UVB light. Not all day, but a large portion of the day. I am concerned that the Arcadia T5 that was recommended to me is too strong and he is trying to avoid the UVB. It’s a 14%. The vivarium is 2ft high and it is mounted up top, inside. His basking spot is not directly under the UVB but it does have a reflector on it so I appreciate the reach is extended.

I was recommended this one over the 12% in store (this is a reptile store that as far as I’m aware has very positive reviews). I also stood in the store for about 20minutes googling the 14% to try and find any concerns surrounding it and it appeared to be recommended.

It may well be he is still settling into the bigger environment and he’s just a little anti-social due to the shedding.

If this bulb is a cause for concern I will obviously change it but it was very expensive and thus far I’ve spent so much more than I’d accounted for so ideally I won’t need to.

It is placed to one side (the basking side) so if it is potentially too strong, what would be easiest for me to do would be to move the basking bulb to the other side so that when basking he isn’t exposed to quite as much UVB. The tube is 34”.

Hope this makes sense!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, so as you may know, we upgraded our viv to a 120gal. Broly has been in it for a few days now but I can’t tell if something is a little off or not?

He has been a little off his food since the move (he is eating but a lot less than usual and he needs a little more encouragement). He is still taking water as usual from dripping on the top of his nose and is still pooing and weeing daily (they look healthy). I understand with the move and him currently shedding it’s quite normal for him to be off his food and a little moody. He does appear to be losing a bit of weight but not a concerning amount. He also has active periods of the day where he is very alert and exploring a little more.

My main concern is that he has taken to hiding behind decor in the warm area out of the UVB light. Not all day, but a large portion of the day. I am concerned that the Arcadia T5 that was recommended to me is too strong and he is trying to avoid the UVB. It’s a 14%. The vivarium is 2ft high and it is mounted up top, inside. His basking spot is not directly under the UVB but it does have a reflector on it so I appreciate the reach is extended.

I was recommended this one over the 12% in store (this is a reptile store that as far as I’m aware has very positive reviews). I also stood in the store for about 20minutes googling the 14% to try and find any concerns surrounding it and it appeared to be recommended.

It may well be he is still settling into the bigger environment and he’s just a little anti-social due to the shedding.

If this bulb is a cause for concern I will obviously change it but it was very expensive and thus far I’ve spent so much more than I’d accounted for so ideally I won’t need to.

It is placed to one side (the basking side) so if it is potentially too strong, what would be easiest for me to do would be to move the basking bulb to the other side so that when basking he isn’t exposed to quite as much UVB. The tube is 34”.

Hope this makes sense!
I used the Arcadia 14% for a year - my tanks are Zens 4x2x2 - I had the UVB strapped to the top of the tank w/ a distance of 17-18" from basking decor directly underneath - but my fixtures are only 24" length -- my UVB's are not next to the basking area but in the front of the tank so they are separate -- I dont know if hes getting too much UVB you can try two things - you can try covering up some of the UVB see if that makes a difference or switch to the 12% and see what his behavior does --- you can also move the UVB as you suggested as well -- it is up to you - its trial and error to find the cause --

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The 14% should be fine if it's mounted on a screen top. If you plan to have the bulb inside the tank, a 12% would be safer. Just be sure to provide plenty of places for him to escape the radiation, and maybe add an extra hide.

LittleGodzilla

Hatchling Dragon
I'm pretty useless considering I tell people advice from experience and not from a medical perspective

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The 14% should be fine if it's mounted on a screen top. If you plan to have the bulb inside the tank, a 12% would be safer. Just be sure to provide plenty of places for him to escape the radiation, and maybe add an extra hide.
Thanks,
I’m going to keep an eye on him for the rest of the week whilst he adjusts and sheds. I don’t want to keep changing too much around and disturbing him if he’s just trying to settle in. He’s got a couple of hides and escapes from the UVB and he’s not avoiding it completely which is good. If he still appears to be hiding from it by next week I will try a few of Sadies other suggestions ☺️

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks,
I’m going to keep an eye on him for the rest of the week whilst he adjusts and sheds. I don’t want to keep changing too much around and disturbing him if he’s just trying to settle in. He’s got a couple of hides and escapes from the UVB and he’s not avoiding it completely which is good. If he still appears to be hiding from it by next week I will try a few of Sadies other suggestions ☺️
Give him more baths to soak this will speed up the shed in 1-2 days and help the itching. Also please read up on the Reptisun for UVB it’s honestly the best and very highly recommended. I hope the Arcadia is not a coiled bulb, Please switch it; u will thank me later or call Reptisun directly or email or call Carolina custome cages & hear it for yourself; they have over 500 Beardies that they breed & sell and they will tell u Reptisun; I also know from experience and saved quite a few from MBD due to No uvb or improper UVB which required a lot of time and very sad to see the dragons so weak & near death.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Since your enclosure is 120 Gallon that is the one you want, the 12% is for 40 gallon. You have the best one on the market.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks,
He is fine, they are smart and they will know when they will have enough UVB and will go to another area away from the uvb

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Give him more baths to soak this will speed up the shed in 1-2 days and help the itching. Also please read up on the Reptisun for UVB it’s honestly the best and very highly recommended. I hope the Arcadia is not a coiled bulb, Please switch it; u will thank me later or call Reptisun directly or email or call Carolina custome cages & hear it for yourself; they have over 500 Beardies that they breed & sell and they will tell u Reptisun; I also know from experience and saved quite a few from MBD due to No uvb or improper UVB which required a lot of time and very sad to see the dragons so weak & near death.
Again your wrong Arcadia is the best. Arcadia is a tube light not coil and offer D3 built in, do your research before answering questions

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
It a matter of opinion- both are good bulbs--- I personally like the Arcadia- I have used both :)
I give Arcadia the edge, because the bulbs offer D3. I am familiar with both because my ball python and Blue tongue skink us the Reptisun 10.0

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Your reply has absolutely no relevance to my query. And if you had actually read what I’ve written you would know I don’t have a coil bulb, unless they sell 34” Arcadia coil bulbs. Also, not everyone is based in the USA.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Since your enclosure is 120 Gallon that is the one you want, the 12% is for 40 gallon. You have the best one on the market.
Thank you. That’s good to hear. Since I made the post this morning he has spent time laying directly under the UVB and not hiding from it. He is more than 15” away from it too obviously as it’s a 2ft high viv. I think it’s a combo of shedding grumpiness and settling into new enclosure. Probably doesn’t know what to do with all the space! Haha x

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you. That’s good to hear. Since I made the post this morning he has spent time laying directly under the UVB and not hiding from it. He is more than 15” away from it too obviously as it’s a 2ft high viv. I think it’s a combo of shedding grumpiness and settling into new enclosure. Probably doesn’t know what to do with all the space! Haha x
Yeah, he will definitely love it another thing I love about Arcadia is the way it brighten up the enclosure. When they are shedding they get moody you can always assist by soaking him in warm water. I don’t think Julee1971 don’t really read post if you notice she always start off by saying thing over like she is copy and pasting

Latest posts