• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introducing your beardy to other pets?

buddy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys,

Over the last week I have been trying to introduce buddy to lola, my pet lurcher.
Lola was bred to chase rabbits and other small creatures, which worried me at first, but they have previously met each other through the glass of buddy's viv, and after a bit of adjusting from lola, they pretty much ignore each other.
Now i'm trying to introduce them to each other face to face, rather than have to get lola to leave the room or be locked in the garden while buddy is free to roam.
The other night Buddy was out while Lola was lay on her bed. Eventually buddy fell to sleep on my girlfriends leg, and that was when lola finally showed interest. She was very scared of him at first, but after realising he was asleep, she went ahead and had a good sniff of him.
Unfortunately, this woke buddy up, he must have been in a deeper sleep than I thought as he spazzed out. Not from lola being around, but from the rude awakening.
Buddy calmed down after around 30 seconds (once we had caught him, ha!) but it terrified Lola, I'm a little worried she won't get used to him being out of his viv.

I was wondering if anyone has any hints or tips on introducing other pets to your beardie?
Any success stories?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My Beardies used to sit on my Spaniel, he was great with them, they would walk all over him & he didnt bother, but it was a completely different matter with our husky, he was terrified from them. As soon as the dragons headed in his direction he would bolt the other way as fast as he could. It all depends on the individual animals personalities, some are ok others not.

Hope your 2 decide to be friends tho.

Reactions: Jp

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Has there been any progress with their relationship since this post was started?

I have 2 cats and would never release my beardie around them without exercising extreme caution, but I do think it would be awesome if they could peacefully coexsist someday. Like:

I will wait until my beardie is much older before I even let my cat close enough to sniff him though. Right now, they watch each other all day through the sides of the tank. I can only imagine in time, they will get used to each other's presence.

I'd love to hear any other success stories...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are a number of videos & pics similar to the one you just posted. The ones that you don't see aren't that pretty or cuddly. Cats are natural predators, generally if it's smaller & it moves, it's either lunch or a toy. Have seen so many brutal 'accidents' with people attempting to get a relationship like this going, even supervised, cats are just too fast for intervention should things go sour. Just a heads up.

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
I'm slowing introducing Sahara to my two pit bulls. They are great with animals but they want to "play" with things that move. I'm scared to death that she will run and they will paw her and hurt her. Lucy has killed several frogs/toads by pawing them to try and make them jump and has even picked up a turtle with her mouth. Right now they are allowed to sniff her and they will leave her alone if she's just sitting on my bed or hanging out on the couch (with me RIGHT there). I put them in their kennel and give her freedom to explore the living room though. I leave my sister's beagle out and she runs away the second Sahara moves. I doubt I'll ever let my APBTs and her roam the house together.

Latest posts