• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

interrupting brumation

ohwonder

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey all, so two days ago I bought a dragon from someone needing to rehome urgently. The old owner informed me that he was brumating, possibly has been for 2 weeks.

I drove out an hour and picked up the dragon. The guy had already put his belongings in a box to take and Goon was chillin on his hammock in his tank. On the way back home I got a call about a family emergency that was out of my control. My friend stepped up and said he could take care of Goon for a couple of days.

When we got his enclosure all set up, within 20 mins he ate a freeze dried super worm (i know these aren't the best, the old owner included them in the box with all his belongings) ( I already have live food for him, I didnt have it with me at the time) and then went to sleep under his hammock. I feel like the eating is a sign that he's adjusting well?

My friends dad isn't big on animals, and wants him out ASAP. I am planning on bringing him back either today or in 3 days after I get done with school. I hate how stressful this must be for him, especially since hes just trying to sleep! Any help on how to transport/how to make him feel comfortable is very appreciated. He's estimated to be one year old.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some dragons do just fine adjusting to changes and get to eating right away like nothings happened, and then there are some that take a week or so to adjust.. Just try to keep things as "normal" as you can and if the tank sides are not covered you can cover 3 sides making it a bit more private for him.

ohwonder

Bearded Dragon Egg
okay so Im going to try and revive this thread for a moment. My dragon is, on the most part, in brumation.

Ive had him at my house for around 2/3 weeks now and sometimes he will be awake waiting for me to turn on his basking light. Am I supposed to leave the lights off throughout it all ?

I turned both lights on a few times , gave him some water, but he mostly just goes back into brumation the next day or so. Ive heard this is common but i still feel like im doing it wrong.

My other concern is he still hasn't pooped. I fed him when he first came to my house, since he was up and didn't go back into brumation for a couple of days. I think that's when I went wrong. The food is sitting near his vent, but he wont poop. Ive tried a bath when he is awake but still nothing. I read that the food can rot in there and that worries me. alot.

I think its been atleast a 5 weeks since hes pooped, his ex-owner said he was brumating before, It must be so uncomfortable.

I've tried lightly massaging his stomach, and he was in the bath for around 30 minutes. Also down to try pumpkin, but I dont want to put anything else in that wont come out.

Is it just a waiting game?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you can see the poop near his vent and it's not coming out then you should probably go to a vet. When you give the bath, make the water slightly warmer than it normally would be.

I leave the lights on, especially if the dragon is coming in and out of brumation. You want them to have the light if they do come out and you aren't home.

I learned something, yes even doing this for 5 years I'm still learning something. I have a girl that had the habit of not pooping for 4+weeks. When she would eventually go, it would be in a bath and it would be a bit of a struggle. Christmas day I changed her UVB light and I bumped up her temp a few degrees because it's getting colder out here. She has pooped every day since then! It's so much that I joke I'm going to put her old lights back in LOL!

Latest posts