• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

INTERESTING DILEMA...Baby beardie will NOT eat crickets but eats all of his veggies...

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My baby that ive been having a BM issue with is strange today (he finally had a BM today)..he hasnt been eating much for crickets at all, yesterday morning he had the most crickets yet, maybe 5, in general however hes only been eating 2-3 crickets each feeding (which is once in the AM and once in the PM), I also feed him veggies in the AM and the PM..he really doesnt have much interest in crickets but today hes only had 1 cricket this AM and left his other 2 to rome around the tank...I also found him sleeping around 5pm today in his cave. Im puzzled...he is eating all of his veggies at each veggie feeding, just not interested in crickets? the crickets seem to be the appropriate size, im not sure what this whole deal is but this is turning out more stressful than I had imagined :(...he has a UVB and basking light. I dust his veggies with vitamins once a week (ive only had him since last friday) and ive been feeding crickets calcium quencher and food so they are gut filled(?)...Im not sure what to think...do I just have a stressed out baby or is it just my luck to get an unhealthy pet store baby? Is it possible hes sore or stressed after having that massive bm this morning? just so puzzled and stressing...so far this has been less than a fun experience and im not enjoying it :( any experience with babies not liking crickets and prefering veggies?

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are feeding a good variety of healthy fruit and veg and as long as he is growing don't stress.Make sure the crickets you do offer are no bigger than the space between his eyes.
Chill out and enjoy your new friend :)

Maureen Ahearn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Question for you guys, mine is aweful active! I know that is a good thing for health, but I thought they are suppose to want to just sit with you... yes mine is about 2 months old, but he seems to want to run and explore AWAY from me when hes out of his cage... any thoughts?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When they are that young they tend to be more like the 2 year old HUMAN child that wants to see and get in to everything.

They will calm down after a few months.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my Yoda is still a little skiddish but he will hang with me for 5 mins or so before he decides to explore. In his enclosure he runs from one end to the other and back again but this is only because Max our jack russell loves to play the game too. It's like yoda is teasing him" HAHA you can't get me" :p it's quite amusing. Yoda used to just fluff up and go black but now it's like he enjoys every moment. When he's not teasing the dog, he's hanging out on his basking rock.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He does bask usually after his meals he'll hang out on his rock under the lights, ive rarely seen him in his cave (which is why I thought it was so weird that he was napping in the afternoon). He is about 6-8 weeks old estimated? I got him from the pet store, they really didnt know how old he was so I asked on here based on his length and thats what he was estimated at. This morning he had 4 crickets, I was pleased, but didnt eat the fifth. Guess I just get so worried because everything you read says babies this young should be eating 20-40 crickets a day! mines been barely eating 6 a day if im lucky, so its just so odd, then the napping really through me off because that just wasnt like him..hes usually basking or exploring his tank trying to find a way out lol.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol he doesnt seem to impressed that I took away his cave lol but he will have to deal with it. Thanks all for the thoughts, advice and positive words :)

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He was the largest of the babies in the tank, the smallest seemed to be about 3"...my guys about 5" I took a picture of him beside a regular sized picture which is I believe a 4x6? He seems about an inch longer than the pictures length based on tail so maybe hes longer than 5"...Just waiting for my picture to come through email than Ill post it :)

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
babybeardiesize.jpg

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol today he hasnt eaten his veggies...lol this little guy is all over the map!

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I know the feeling. I got my little one Tuesday. He ate three crickets and a mealworm or two that first day. I see some don't like to give beardies mealies so I may stick to crickets. However, the last couple of days he would not touch a cricket. He has gone to the bathroom and I think he ate some of the romaine lettuce that I got for him. Today I am trying mustard greens.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hope your little guy peps up littlemerlin...they are tricky little buggers...I learned today that my guy will only eat crickets if I've left the entire room all together lol...but still doesn't eat as much as I'd like to see him eat :/ ...that's good that yours eats his greens! Mine loves collard greens, he liked squash for half a second but shunned it today lol, they are puzzling! Good luck with everything! As stressed out as I get I really like bearded dragons, they're so silly lol.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering about the reflection thing, I've seen Jethro stare at "himself" a couple times. He still seems to eat though. I think he's adjusted fairly well to his new home from what I can tell. He just finished shedding his tail I think, and I think he's going to start shedding the other parts of his body soon too 'cause his skin is changing colors a little.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I covered the sides with paper towels til his 3d background and sides come and it has helped a little but not entirely...he does seem a lot less stressed though :)

Latest posts