• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

INKBIRD Temperature Controllers

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
Just a small update to my beardies enclosure. I added INKBIRD digital probe temperature controllers to the tank. The controllers are plugged into smart plugs which are scheduled through the Smart Life app on my phone for day and night schedules.

On one right side of the tank(in the cabinet) I have the daytime temp controller which will maintain the tank temperature at 96°F.

On the left side of the tank(in the cabinet) I have the nighttime controller which will turn on auxillary heat if the tank temp drops below 65°F(rare this time of year but very possible in Kansas during the winter).

I also have my Zoo Med digital probe thermometer installed to ensure everything stays accurate and operates properly.

I've attached a few pics for you guys.

20210331_193856.jpg20210331_193927.jpg20210331_194242.jpg20210331_194302.jpg20210331_195100.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just a small update to my beardies enclosure. I added INKBIRD digital probe temperature controllers to the tank. The controllers are plugged into smart plugs which are scheduled through the Smart Life app on my phone for day and night schedules.

On one right side of the tank(in the cabinet) I have the daytime temp controller which will maintain the tank temperature at 96°F.

On the left side of the tank(in the cabinet) I have the nighttime controller which will turn on auxillary heat if the tank temp drops below 65°F(rare this time of year but very possible in Kansas during the winter).

I also have my Zoo Med digital probe thermometer installed to ensure everything stays accurate and operates properly.

I've attached a few pics for you guys.

View attachment 26562View attachment 26563View attachment 26564View attachment 26565View attachment 26566
Very nice!

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
So far I'm noticing about 1°F deviation from the Zoo Med thermometer(90.3°F) and the INKBIRD temperature controller(89.3°F).

I just got everything turned back on so its still warming up.

I've got an ExoTerra 150 watt intense basking spot light and an additional 150 watt ceramic heat emitter in a dual fixture. The ceramic heat emitter is powered by the temperature controller and turns on and off as needed to maintain proper temp during the day.

For the evening I have an 80 watt Arcadia Deep heat projector that will only turn on as needed if the temp drops below 65°F.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So far I'm noticing about 1°F deviation from the Zoo Med thermometer(90.3°F) and the INKBIRD temperature controller(89.3°F).

I just got everything turned back on so its still warming up.

I've got an ExoTerra 150 watt intense basking spot light and an additional 150 watt ceramic heat emitter in a dual fixture. The ceramic heat emitter is powered by the temperature controller and turns on and off as needed to maintain proper temp during the day.

For the evening I have an 80 watt Arcadia Deep heat projector that will only turn on as needed if the temp drops below 65°F.
Sounds really good

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
If the INKBIRD digital probe temperature controller remains accurate(matches the Zoo Med digital probe thermometer within 1°F) then it may be a viable replacement for the digital probe thermometers entirely and give you accurate control over tank temperature.
Side note - I just discovered that you can calibrate the temperature on the INKBIRD Temperature controller.

If you trust your Zoo Med digital probe thermometer, the INKBIRD temperature controller can be calibrated to match the Zoo Med unit.

I now have both my temperature controllers calibrated to match my Zoo Med thermometer and will continue to use all 3 in my tank.

One downside I've discovered so far is that it actively tries to maintain the exact temperature defined so if the tank temperature exceeds what you set, it will try to cool the tank, powering that receptacle so it is always on, one way or another.

I considered getting cooling fans to use for the cooling side of the system but don't think they'll be necessary unless we have a brutally hot summer and the basking bulb alone exceeds 96°F in his basking spot.

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
Took some time and some tinkering but I finally managed to get my tank temperature exactly where I want it. I really hope that my problem is the fact that my tank is up against an exterior wall and next to a heating/cooling vent...

To get my 1 year old beardie's basking spot in his 120 gallon Zen tank up to a comfortable 97°F (+ or - 1°F) during daytime hours, I have the following...

In a dual dome fixture-
•Exo-Terra 150watt intense basking spot bulb
•Arcadia halogen PAR38 100watt heat lamp

In a separate fixture close by-
80watt Arcadia deep heat projector connected to the INKBIRD temperature controller that will only be on part of the time to maintain tank temp.
-------‐‐--------------------------------------------

Connected to another INKBIRD temperature controller is a 150watt ceramic heat emitter in its own separate fixture. This will only come on if his tank temp drops below 70°F at night.
-------‐‐--------------------------------------------

I will reassess in a month after I move as Charlie will be on an interior wall not near a vent so maybe it won't take quite as much to keep him warm.

Both temperature controllers are calibrated to match my Zoo Med digital probe temperature and humidity thermometer.

Some pics-
20210404_125813.jpg20210404_142545.jpg20210404_141357.jpg

L4beard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Very nice set up. I am considering doing the same thing and came across this while searching the subject. I was worried that some reviews on their (Inkbird) timed units warn of inaccuracies with pretty scary consequences. But I have read the same about most others. I am currently debating the 306T Wifi which will allow two separate temperature ranges for night and day. that way I can control the ceramic to add heat to the 150 Watt Flukers for basking in the day and then use it to insure the tank does not get below 70 degrees.

dharvey4651

Hatchling Dragon
Very nice set up. I am considering doing the same thing and came across this while searching the subject. I was worried that some reviews on their (Inkbird) timed units warn of inaccuracies with pretty scary consequences. But I have read the same about most others. I am currently debating the 306T Wifi which will allow two separate temperature ranges for night and day. that way I can control the ceramic to add heat to the 150 Watt Flukers for basking in the day and then use it to insure the tank does not get below 70 degrees.
After having the controllers for some time now, I too am experiencing some inconsistencies but no more than 1-3 degrees between the 3 temperature probes I have in the tank.

I have two controllers, one for day and one for night. The smart plugs have proven reliable as well, even with all the power I'm running.

I did not get the wifi version of the controllers. Sort of a set it and forgot it type deal. I can remotely turn the lights on and off though thanks to the smart plugs.

Latest posts