• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dizbitgray

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a baby bearded dragon the other day from the pet store. I went in intending to adopt one who had been there for several weeks since his tail had been crushed and removed. Someone had adopted him in the couple days interim that I was setting up his enclosure, but since I had the setup, I adopted a baby who was rather hyperactive and seemed to need some love.

That was yesterday. Today, I fed him some greens, carrot, and 3 separate live cricket/mealworm feedings, After the last feeding, about 8 pm, I was about to turn out his light, so I went to retrieve the uneaten crickets (I think they a little were too big). I removed the light from the screen top and clamped it on the side, then went in for the crickets.

The light held steady for a few seconds, then swung down and hit my baby where his legs meet his body. Since I was right there, I removed it right away, I'm not sure it even hit him fully, and the bulb definitely didn't touch him, but it weighs at least a pound. But he just sat there, didn't squirm away or anything, so I picked him up. He didn't really move or react. I stroked him and looked for signs of pain, there were none apparent but I don't really know what to look for, put him back in the enclosure and he crawled to the 'cool' corner where he spent last night, dragging his back legs. He dragged his upper body up onto the rim of his water dish and fell asleep pretty quickly after I turned his light off.

I'm so scared that I broke his legs or spine or pelvis, or caused internal bleeding or tissue damage. His legs were moving a little, but since it happened right before his bedtime I didn't have much time to observe. His legs don't appear paralyzed, they were moving a little bit, but I don't think I saw him move them on purpose. Maybe he was just favoring them since they hurt.

Anyway, I turned his CHE up a little bit so his cool side temp is about 85 tonight, he ate a good amount today and seems to be a spunky little critter.

I thought I'd let him sleep and recover, then tomorrow if there was no improvement I would take him in to the vet. Any tips, advice, reassurance? Feel free to make me feel bad for this, although I spent the last 2 hours crying guiltily and asking my boyfriend to break my legs for being such a bad mommy.

TLDR- baby bearded suffered trauma to both legs, what do I do?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, is your bearded dragon using its legs now, is it okay? Also since you seem to be new to bearded dragon keeping and you said you only moved one light, do you have a UVB bulb as well?

Latest posts