• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Inflating

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I notice Kratos inflating himself by rapidly inhaling air (he looks like a whoopee cushion lol). I've seen him do it in the bath but he also does it on a daily basis while in his cage. Is it his way of stretching out his skin? Or is he trying to just get more heat the lazy way without climbing up his rock to bask? Any ideas? He doesn't look stressed or uncomfortable, I just wonder why he does it as today he inflated for about 10 straight minutes.

Here is a pick of him "puffed" with his belly inflated (body spikes pointing outward). His head is about to shed.

Attachments

• Kratos Inflating.jpg
    Kratos Inflating.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 40

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
You know, mine did the same thing right before a shed about a week ago. I'm serious too.. it looked like he had a balloon in his belly! At first it worried me (like maybe I fed him something that caused him to bloat up), but then he shed and now he's back to normal. My assumption was that he was blowing himself up to get rid of that pesky old skin. Maybe one of the more experienced owners can give you more concrete advice, though.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they will often puff themselves up to stretch & help loosen the old skin when in shed. In the bath it is so they will float.

Latest posts