• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Infertile Eggs?

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all!
So Lyra, my female BD has been very busy since Saturday. She's acting like she's got slug eggs, she has never been bred. She's about 2 and half years old. She weighs 444 grams, which is more bit more than usually, from what I remember. Lyra's belly has also increased in size as well. She has also been black bearding off and on today for very short times, I don't know if she was yesterday or Saturday.... She didn't eat as much applesauce with calcium, bee pollen and spirulina mixed in today as usual, applesauce is her favorite, so it makes me wonder, but she also acts alert and healthy... I did a comparison with my other female to Lyra, Lyra has bumps, and my other girl does not...
What are the differences between slug and fertile egg laying (besides having been bred or not)? Does slug egg laying usually happen easily and naturally, or are they more prone to getting egg bound with the infertile eggs?
So what do I need to get for her? Are there things I need to watch out for? What do I need to be concerned about?
Her diet:
Sweet Peppers
Blueberries
Mixed Veggies
Spinach
Mustard Greens (when I can find them)
Superworms (as a treat)
Dubias
Applesauce (with calcium, bee pollen and spirulina mixed in)

I give them other things too but I can't remember, they don't happen often anyway.

Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There is no difference between laying fertile or infertile eggs. They both can be hard on a female. Make sure you have a laybox for her. Organic potting soil mixed with children's play sand moist enough to hold a tunnel up but not sopping wet.

Try to switch up her diet a little more. Fruit should only be given as a treat because of the sugar content, that includes apple sauce. Spinach is a no feed food because it binds to calcium. If she is making eggs, you really don't want to feed spinach. There is a web site called beautiful dragons.com that has a great nutrition chart that we all follow.

You really should have her checked out by a vet to make sure that she is in fact gravid and that she is going to be able to pass the eggs without any problems.

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for your response! I use that chart and it's a great one, I don't feed hardly any spinach, maybe a few leaves every one to two months if that even. I will! What do you feed your BD on a regular basis? Mine have always been picky so that's part of the reason, the applesauce is mostly to get them their supplements, just so you know.
So a vet for her and a lay box, anything else you recommend?
Thanks again!:):bd:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
On the regular mine eat collards, mustards and turnip greens and sometimes I splurge on dandelion. I’ll give them blueberries as a treat sometimes and some weeks I’ll add butternut squash to their greens. My one girl goes crazy for mango so every few months I get her some. They aren’t real veggie fans so we stick to the leafy greens. I sprinkle bee pollen on the greens and two dragons love it and one doesn’t. With the one that doesn’t eat her greens, I give her a worm and then stick a green in while she is chewing. She falls for it everytime! I also have liquid b complex and calcium and I inject them into a horn worm once a month for her to just insure she’s getting her vitamins.

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay, new development:
Lyra hasn't been glass surfing as much, but keeps black bearding off and on and her colors aren't as bright, why? Does it mean she's uncomfortable? Or egg bound? Something else?
She's still eating very well and is very alert.
Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Okay, new development:
Lyra hasn't been glass surfing as much, but keeps black bearding off and on and her colors aren't as bright, why? Does it mean she's uncomfortable? Or egg bound? Something else?
She's still eating very well and is very alert.
Thanks!

I really don't know. They black beard for so many different reasons. I would really take her for a vet visit. Only a vet can tell you if she is gravid.

Latest posts