• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Impatient

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I understand what you're saying! i didn't plan to get a beardie, it happened overnight and was completely down to luck. I didn't even know what a bearded dragon was until the night before i got Willow, it all happened very quickly and she was in very bad condition so i had to start from scratch. I ended up paying $500 that first month to get everything the way it should be and a later $300 to get a new enclosure and things to go inside it. Not to mention food every week and electricity bills, i have the upmost respect for people who dedicate their lives to more than 1 reptile its amazing :)

Patience is key, remember if you do everything right now there is less likely to be mistakes when you actually have your beardie and he/she will have a much better upbringing :D good luck! i can't wait to see some pictures when the day comes

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't say they're like dogs... they have to stay in their enclosure most of the time to get the benefit of their lights. They are definitely little treasures, though!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear that you are getting everything prepped for when you do choose to acquire a BD. As a couple of FYIs, be prepared for your power bill to go up $10-$15 monthly for one BD. If you have to buy your feeders, be prepared for another $100+ bill a month for it's food. Then there is the $150-$200 that should always be on hand in the instance of requiring to have to take it to the Vet in event of an emergency. $50-$80 every 6 months or so to replace a wore out UVB bulb & other bulbs that may burn out, etc, etc. You mentioned that money is tight, these are not a cheap Pet to keep when they will\should eat 20-40 crix a day @ $.10-$.15 each if purchased at the Pet Store, when they are young & growing for the first year to year & a half. I am not saying this to discourage you in any way, just that you should be aware of what it takes to properly keep one & what you are getting into.
I hear so many good things about having beardies as pets; that they are almost like small dogs. Seeing as how we aren't allowed to have dogs in our apartment, this is the next best thing.
This could not be further from the truth! We go to great pains to provide the proper environment for them, but it does not do them any good at all, if they are not in it. Extended time outside of the enclosure is not a good plan, these are not a pet to let run around the house freely, free to ingest anything around the house, be accidentally stepped on, be away from the proper heat & UVB that they require 12-14 hrs a day in order to digest their food properly & receive the other benefits of the lighting that is so important to their health & wellbeing.

BDs are well known for their ability to 'Tolerate' handling well, but would be just as happy if not happier if left to themselves in their enclosure. These are not a pet to be played with & mauled by children. They are not ANYTHING like a cat or a dog & should not be treated as such.

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for your concern, but I've done my research and I'm well aware of the cost of having a dragon. Also, no one said anything about letting the thing run around my house. I have enough stress keeping it clean with 2 kids, I don't want to add lizard poop to the list of things to clean up. The statement about it being like a dog is just a reflection of what i've heard several other beardie owners say... so attack them, not me... kay?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Attack????? :confused: - Offered you some pertinent Info as a 'For Your Information', thinking that it may be helpful as a 'Heads Up'. We can only go by what you write or post & you posted that you heard they were comparable to small dogs. Small Dogs run around the house & are frequently played with by children. Replies were simply in response to that. Removing the original post was not necessary & I would like to say childish, but I won't.

bb66

Bearded Dragon Egg
My My Some people are so thin skinned I really fail to see anything that could be considered an attack on this thread :confused: Thoight the information was helpful in intent

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for your concern, but I've done my research and I'm well aware of the cost of having a dragon. Also, no one said anything about letting the thing run around my house. I have enough stress keeping it clean with 2 kids, I don't want to add lizard poop to the list of things to clean up. The statement about it being like a dog is just a reflection of what i've heard several other beardie owners say... so attack them, not me... kay?
Nobody was attacking you in anyway... He was just letting you know not to be..well.."rough". Beardies are still very fragile creatures, and he was just saying its not like a dog where you can shake em up a bunch and play around with.
And since you removed the first post, I can't agree with you, so I am automatically going to assume that you realized that.
P.S Lizard poop WILL be on your list.

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
my apologies... had a rough day. Plus, seems like everyone I talk to is trying to talk me OUT of getting a beardie. I realized I have to clean up the poop, I meant I don't want to be cleaning it off my furniture and carpets. I don't plan to be 'rough' with my dragon. I don't plan on taking it out and letting it run around. I'm perfectly content to let it hang out in his tank and do his own thing; especially for the first year until he is big enough to be handled safely. I appreciate the advice and have been researching a lot of different places to buy supplies and have come up with great prices on bulk food items. Plus we know people with beardies who are more than willing to help us out if need be.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately, happens to the best of us periodically. ;)

I did specifically state that I was not attempting to discourage you in any way. Too many times new owners come on complaining about the expense, cost of feeders, etc, after the fact. Misled about living habits, handling, care, etc. Better to know before hand. If you were already aware, cool. The info is there for the next newcomer going through the posts.

Good Luck in your search for the right one when the time comes. :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
my apologies... had a rough day. Plus, seems like everyone I talk to is trying to talk me OUT of getting a beardie. I realized I have to clean up the poop, I meant I don't want to be cleaning it off my furniture and carpets. I don't plan to be 'rough' with my dragon. I don't plan on taking it out and letting it run around. I'm perfectly content to let it hang out in his tank and do his own thing; especially for the first year until he is big enough to be handled safely. I appreciate the advice and have been researching a lot of different places to buy supplies and have come up with great prices on bulk food items. Plus we know people with beardies who are more than willing to help us out if need be.
Not trying to be discouraging in the least :). We love our beardies! They are absolutely amazing creatures. Just wanted to let you know that they're really not like small dogs, in case you were led to believe that by others. In fact, they're better than dogs cuz they won't be underfoot and begging for attention ;). This forum is mostly here because of all the misinformation out there and if someone posts something that sounds like they could have been misled, we just want to make sure they're aware of the reality of it before things go a bit screwy. They are a breath of fresh air... unless they make a stink in their cage lol!

Latest posts