• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

im worried about my beardie

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
so recently my beardies poops have been very soft, this recent one extremely wattery. hes been eating fine and normal but today he wasnt acting himself.. he wast basking he was just laying around until i picked him up and soaked him (im a new beardie owner too) hes roughly 6-7 months old too. i feed him 6 large crickets a day and some romaine lettuce. this was the poop that had me concerned.

PS the reason his tank is bare bottom right now is because his carpet stuff is currently drying (just cleaned today)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    990.7 KB · Views: 35

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
so recently my beardies poops have been very soft, this recent one extremely wattery. hes been eating fine and normal but today he wasnt acting himself.. he wast basking he was just laying around until i picked him up and soaked him (im a new beardie owner too) hes roughly 6-7 months old too. i feed him 6 large crickets a day and some romaine lettuce. this was the poop that had me concerned.

PS the reason his tank is bare bottom right now is because his carpet stuff is currently drying (just cleaned today)
Also, his basking temp is 103 and his cool side is 80-90

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Too much moisture can cause runny poop and lettuce is nothing but moisture. For greens I would use something much more nutritionally enriching such as collard greens, mustard greens, or dandelion leaf greens and cut out the lettuce completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Too much moisture can cause runny poop and lettuce is nothing but moisture. For greens I would use something much more nutritionally enriching such as collard greens, mustard greens, or dandelion leaf greens and cut out the lettuce completely.

thank you for the advice, im just really worried its parasites because i cant afford a treatment and theres no vets that take reptiles around me

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree that cutting out lettuce completely would be best. I'm going to assume that it's most likely the reason for such a runny poo with so much extra moisture surrounding it.

Having a fecal done is always good and recommended just to be on the safe side. There are some online sites that you can mail a fecal sample to and they will preform the test pretty cheaply. You can also usually order the correct medication from these sites as well to treat your dragon if it does have parasites. If this is something you would be interested in doing let us know and the other users on here who mail off samples can provide you with some good recommendations.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Lettuce is going to make poop watery and there is no real nutrition in it. Aim to feed more healthy things, here is a list to follow http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf I would also feed a little more than just 6 crickets. Add some variety, phoenix worms, silkworms, superworms are all things they like to eat. Rule of thumb is to feed them what they want in a 15 min span.

Doctor Dragons is a place that does mail in fecal tests. They aren't a vet, they are breeders but they do a great job. I sent my Dolly's in to them and she had pinworms and they told me what medicine I needed to buy online and where to get it.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I agree that cutting out lettuce completely would be best. I'm going to assume that it's most likely the reason for such a runny poo with so much extra moisture surrounding it.

Having a fecal done is always good and recommended just to be on the safe side. There are some online sites that you can mail a fecal sample to and they will preform the test pretty cheaply. You can also usually order the correct medication from these sites as well to treat your dragon if it does have parasites. If this is something you would be interested in doing let us know and the other users on here who mail off samples can provide you with some good recommendations.

Hi, I came across this thread while I was searching for pictures \ descriptions of 'normal poop'. My beardie has had watery and loose poops no matter what I feed him, I am worried about parasites but I am recently unemployed and can't afford to take him to the vet.... and there is only one in town, and she has very limited availability. Can you refer me to someone I can send it to? Can I look under a microscope and identify it myself? Thank you.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Lettuce is going to make poop watery and there is no real nutrition in it. Aim to feed more healthy things, here is a list to follow http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf I would also feed a little more than just 6 crickets. Add some variety, phoenix worms, silkworms, superworms are all things they like to eat. Rule of thumb is to feed them what they want in a 15 min span.

Doctor Dragons is a place that does mail in fecal tests. They aren't a vet, they are breeders but they do a great job. I sent my Dolly's in to them and she had pinworms and they told me what medicine I needed to buy online and where to get it.

Hi, I came across this thread while I was searching for pictures \ descriptions of 'normal poop'. My beardie has had watery and loose poops no matter what I feed him, I am worried about parasites but I am recently unemployed and can't afford to take him to the vet.... and there is only one in town, and she has very limited availability. Can you refer me to someone I can send it to?

I looked up Doctor Dragons, which you recommend in the thread.... but I live in Texas, I can't tell from the website if they accept out of state. I am going to attempt to contact them ASAP.

Is it something I can look at and ID under a microscope??? Sorry if that's a dumb question

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That isn't a dumb question at all. BeautifulDragons.com has a parasite chart for $5 if you would like to preform a test yourself and need a go by. But Doctor Dragons does except fecal exams from other states and I believe she charges only $12 for the exam. When I contacted them via Facebook they responded very quickly.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
That isn't a dumb question at all. BeautifulDragons.com has a parasite chart for $5 if you would like to preform a test yourself and need a go by. But Doctor Dragons does except fecal exams from other states and I believe she charges only $12 for the exam. When I contacted them via Facebook they responded very quickly.

Great, thank you so much... I am waiting to hear back from them on shipping instructions, what with the holidays and out of state and whatnot. It was 85 degrees here just a couple days ago, I don't want the potential parasites to degrade too much to be identified.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't blame you. It would be best if you could mail it off as fresh as possible and double bag it before placing it in an envelope. That will also help out

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here are the instructions for Dr. Dragon
I put sample minus the urates into a ziploc kinda in the corner to keep it all together I will put a rubber band around it keeping it in the corner. Then I put it into another ziploc (in case of leaks)
put the info they need. I then put the sample, payment, return info needed into a bubble envelope..

Attachments

• 12928435_10208973130073864_7413738369492279063_n.jpg
    12928435_10208973130073864_7413738369492279063_n.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts