• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm a newbie and need help with light, heat, cage, everything!

Laura Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, my daughter decided she really wanted a bearded dragon and did what I thought was adequate research and used her Christmas money to buy a baby dragon and 20 gal tank. While at the pet store, she asked if they like to live alone, or if they need friends (first red flag that she didn't research very well!) and the salesman said if they grow up together, they do fine together. Oy!

So, we got two dragons (Fred and Merlin - though we are not sure yet if they are boys or girls) and setup the 20 gallon tank, and so far so good. However, when one kept sitting on the other, I googled it and learned that they should NOT live together. So, I bought a 40 gallon tank, and we moved Merlin into it.

Merlin wasn't as active though, and I felt he was cold. Upon further research, I realized we probably made every mistake in the book, and this adventure has cost me hundreds of dollars now! I am not complaining, because the little dragons have captured my heart! But, they are more complicated than human babies!

So, I have a 100w PowerSun UVB bulb on one end of the tank, and a red bulb (which I have been keeping on 24 hours per day to try to increase heat) in the middle of the tank. I bought a digital thermometer, but it's still the kind that suction cups to the glass. At the bottom it's 80, but up near the basking area it's only about 87!!! i built the basking area to about 6 inches away from the buib, and since it's a UVB bulb, I hear I shouldn't go closer. I bought a 125w PowerSun UVB bulb thinking the bigger tank needed a bigger bulb, but it juuuust slightly sticks out of the ceramic lamp, and touches the wire mesh. I was really afraid that was a no-no and maybe it could bust, so I put the 100w bulb back in again.

I put the digital thermometer RIGHT under the 100w bulb while holding it, and it only got up to 97!! So, we've been holding Merlin a LOT when I feel like he's cold, and putting him in often to visit with his old roommate where he does act a lot more active and happy. I can't figure out what I should do.

If anyone can tell me:

1. What's the best light for heat?
2. What's the best light for UVB? Can I use the same bulb for both (which, after the $75 bulb, I'm hearing maybe I should be using one of those long UVB lights instead)
3. Should I use a bulb at night? They sleep through the night with the red bulb on them, but they sure feel cold to the touch in the morning!
4. Should I get a ceramic heater? If so, how does that work? Do I leave it on all day, do I put it on the hot side of the tank?
5. Is 40 gallons too big for a baby? And, is it too big for 100w?

I appreciate any suggestions to get the heat and lighting right, and get him in a happy, healthy cage. Thank you!

Laura Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is the 40 gallon setup. No dragon in here when I took this picture - he was warming up in his friend's tank. The digital thermometer at the top near the hammock is showing 87 degrees.
beardy tank.jpg

Laura Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
check out the following link on my signature created by a couple of our members

Thank you! Great information in your link! I am still having so many issues, but I think I have a plan.

1. The top of the 40 gallon tank is not all screen (it is mostly plastic), so there is only room for two lamps. I bought a screen top, but it doesn't quite fit, and I don't think any new top is going to fit, so I don't know what to do with the top of this.

2. I can't put a long UVB bulb in there, unless I can find one that suctions to the wall, due to the screen top issue, I've seen pictures of them online, in the HUNDREDS of setups I've studied, but can't find where to buy them.

3. I ordered a temp gauge (4th one now) that has probes so I hope that's more accurate. But, I'm SURE the 40 gallon tank is not getting warm enough. The dragon just sits in one place the entire time he's in it. He looks very depressed. He is much more active in the 20 gal tank, and that one feels so much warmer. He feels cold when I pick him up from the 40 gallon tank, but feels warm when I pick him up from the 20 gallon tank.

4. I can't find a lamp that the 125w bulb will fit in without the bulb touching the screen. I am scared to have the bulb touch the screen, because it seems unsafe. I've bought and returned so many ceramic lamps - I've now tried every lamp at PetCo and PetSmart.

5. I bought a stand to hang the lamp from, but it's the dumbest thing I've seen! The lamp hangs off to the side of the tank - there is no way to adjust it to hang completely over the tank. The arm of the stand is not long at all. With this top having screen only in the center, the stand is useless. But even if it was all mesh, a large portion of the heat would be missing the inside of the cage all together.

6. I added it up, I've spent $638 on these two dragons so far, and I feel like most of what I bought is useless.

So, I am going to buy ANOTHER tank today. A 20 gallon tank. They'll each have their own 20 gallon tank. I'm selling this 40 gallon tank on craigslist because of the problems with the top. When the time comes, I'll buy a bigger tank and make sure it has a screen top. I've had all I can take of these "terrarium kits" because everything in them is junk!

For now, I have a UVB heat lamp, so I will skip the long UVB light until I get the 40 gallon tank. I love these little dragons a lot, and I love that my daughter is enjoying them so much. I HATE HATE HATE that pet stores are so clueless about them, and that I made so many expensive mistakes! Thankfully I just got my end of year bonus....I didn't think it would go towards dragon supplies though!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I hate "terrarium kits" I wish they wouldn't sell them. They make them look so pretty and it draws the kids in but you can only really use 2 or 3 things in them. I almost bought one only because it was a good price for the tank itself at the time. Lot's of stuff can be repurposed, like I have succulents and cacti and so the sand can be used in planting them. I also have frogs that could use the compact UVB lights. It just sucks. Now before you get rid of the 40 gallon you have...are you handy at all? You can make your own top out of screen mesh from Homedepot and some wood. You could make something that would fit your tank.

In the beginning I bought lots of stuff off of Amazon. I have Amazon Prime so shipping was free and mostly next day or 2 day. Plus at the time there was also no tax. Plus Amazon has a great return policy. I ordered a UVB light for my frog tank and it didn't work so I asked for a replacement and the later that night it was here and I just returned the one that didn't work. I have found two great places since then, Dr. Foster's and Smith in Wisconsin and Pet Mountain. Pet Mountain is also one that sells on Amazon. Both always have great sales on lights and fixtures. Remember, lots of things can be returned if you don't use them so save your receipts. It doesn't hurt to try to get your money back and get what you need.

In using the higher watt bulbs you can't use the "mini" dome lamps you have to get something a bit bigger. We used to buy the bigger domes and we would bend them pliers a bit so that they would fit on our mesh top between the plastic bars. Dome fixtures are also sold at hardware stores and you might be able to get them cheaper. Remember to get a dome light that supports the wattage of the bulb you want to use. Some, especially the mini dome lights only support 100watts. With fluorescent fixtures you can buy a standard T8 size fixture at the hardware store and just put a reptile basking light in them. As far as attaching the UVB light, you really want it to go over their heads so it doesn't hurt their eyes. People that put it inside the tank usually use heavy duty velcro or plastic ties.

I'm going to put up some pictures of my tanks so you can get some ideas.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got creative on how I hung my lights over Izzy's 55 gal I'll take some pictures.. I have the screen tops from petco they were meant for smaller tanks but I bent (hammered the one side of them flat)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh and so you don't feel bad about how much you've spent her is PART of my stash!
20160205_095838.jpg

Laura Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you both - these pictures helped a LOT! I never thought about mounting the lights from the wall! So, when we get the final adult tanks setup in the kids' rooms, that's what we'll do.

I am happy now. Patsy, I took your advice and bought a T8 fixture (24") at the hardware store. It didn't come with a cord, so my husband made one for it. We mounted it under the plastic cover, and drilled holes for the cord and screws. I put a Reptisun 10.0 17w UVB bulb in it. It's no closer than about 8" from anywhere the dragon will be. I LOVE it! That allowed me to get a 150w heat lamp (without UVB) which fits in the ceramic lamp, and now the temps are where they should be. Oh, and by the way I got a digital thermometer with a probe on it, so I'm more comfortable with the temps.

I also added some décor for hiding, and a little "millet sand box". Take a look at the picture. You can see Merlin on the back left rock, checking the place out. He seems very happy in here.

Thanks again so much for your help!!! I am feeling much better about this! :) Having a LOT more fun!! :)

(And I feel a lot more normal about spending so much money - although today I returned $131 worth of stuff!!)

0206161556b.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looking good! See I knew you could get it all figured out.. It takes a bit of adjusting.. I've got quite a few bulbs hanging around I keep for emergencies and for warmer weather as right now my bulbs are running higher because I live in WI.
So yep don't feel bad about the little shop of stuff you may have as we all have them :)
I really like your set up just be careful of the "millet sand box" what is the material? be careful so that he doesn't eat much of it causing impactions.
Nice job!
I didn't start with the lights hanging above then slowly I started getting annoyed with having to move them all the time to get to Izzy.. In the back of my head I was thinking each time I bang this light I decrease how long it's going to last...... then I got the nice hood with expensive T8 bulb and thought ok I got to do something.... that's where the shelf brackets came in...then the wood brackets on the wall happened as this way I can adjust her temps by moving them up/down..Being able to remove the screen tops without hitting the pricey bulbs is priceless :)

Latest posts