• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ideas 4 new home-made viv

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
so when i get my tax money back towards the end of this month, i plan on building my beardie a new custom viv!!!!! i wuz thinkin of using some kind of hard wood of course & putting styrafoam insulation inbetween the 2 pieces of wood. does this sound like a good idea? cuz i mean, i see some ppl use styrafoam when making rock backgrounds & such, so i figure it would be fine inbetween 2 pieces of wood, right?! ne thoughts ne1?!?!

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i mean that would work, but how would you fasten the inner wood with foam in between it? also it will make it thick. You could do that though!

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
just figured it wud help keep it warmer, i may be in florida..but my house is very poor insulated & when it's cold, i need 2 use 2 heat lamps just 4 his 40 gallon as i am doing now!

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would actually suggest against. The reason is that you will have a basking light in the VIV and if the basking light ends up being focussed against the side of the VIV then the heat could break down the foam and cause toxic gasses.

If you house drops below 65f at night then get a CHE (Ceramic Heat emitter) and to compensate and don't worry about the insulation.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
okay, yah. i don't like the idea of that accidentally happening, so no insulation it is!!! rather not chance it! & i wuz meaning during the day time when his lights r on. when a cold front comes thru his 40 gallon requires 2 heat lamps 2 maintain 100-110 degrees & that's w/my heat on cuz as i said, my house is poorley insulated.

Latest posts