• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think i am doing it wrong. Lighting for dragons.

thiagogita

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys. I have a few questions about the lighting.
I got a pair of dragons few days ago. The terrarium is 113x70x100 and it came with 2 Reptli Glow 25w (Rich in UVB and weak in heat) and a Sun glow 25w for the basking spot.
I replaced the basking light for an infra red baking light with 50w. It made the spot temperature increase a litle (now its around 30-31 C°). My question isif i am doing it right. Specialy with the infrared basking spot.
As for the UVB light i got also a solar glow 125w but i am afraid to replace and cause it might increase the temperature overall.
Also, do i need to left some sort of light at night? The temperature in the terri at night when everything is off is around 25-27 c°.
Sory for the long text. Thank yall.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388845302506.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388845302506.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 74
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388845335642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388845335642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 77

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No night light\heat is needed, lights of any color will bother most BDs sleep & BDs should be allowed to cool down at night, slows the metabolism down for a good nights rest.

BDs thrive on bright white light, a white or clear basking bulb should be used.

That enclosure is too tall for a BD enclosure (BDs are more Terrestrial than Arboreal, they like to climb around as babies\youngsters, but this is not the case as adults.), making it, as you have found, difficult to heat & provide UVB at an effective & safe distance. I would recommend an MVB (Solar Glo, Mega-Ray, Power Sun, etc) as a UVB source & drop the Basking spot to be over the 'Minimum' safe distance from the bulb to the basking spot. You will likely need a second heat source to get the needed temps.

The thermometers that you are using are useless in this application, do not take the temps anywhere near where needed. Those analog thermometers are notorious for their inaccuracy. Basking Temps need to be measured directly at the basking spot & the cool side temps taken low to the floor at the coolest point in the enclosure, generally the floor area furthest from the basking bulb. Your BD will never be climbing the back wall to where the thermometers are attached, so why measure the temps there. Digital thermometers with sensors\probes are much better suited for this, the sensor\probes can be attached directly where the temps need to measured giving accurate readings.

The unfinished, unsealed wood can emit harmful fumes & can't be sanitized. Needs to be sealed.

BDs should not cohabit ...

Some good links that you may find useful to get started off right ... Please pay particular attention to the articles highlighted in Red.
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Place To Start
UVB Setup
Temp Guns
Bearded Dragon - Exclusive Care Info Library
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?
What's Good & Not So Good To Feed - Beautiful Dragon's Nutrition Guide

Good Luck

Last edited:

thiagogita

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Damm. Way to complicated. I got those dragons from a guy who was moving away..they are 2 years with him and no problem. Now afyer taking a loom at those dragon injuries i got scared. I think ill separate they. Probabily will buy another terri already made for dragons. But mean while do you think is ok to let one in one of those exo terra terrariuns? I have one that i am not using atm. The new terris should come in 1 month. Anyway thanks for the answer and the links.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, from what i can tell your enclosure looks good. Beardies love to climb given the opportunity. Only two things i would change.
1. Swap the red light out for a similar wattage flood lamp. Just make sure your temps are good.
2. You may have to re drill but try to make the UVB a little closer to the basking spot (close to the heat bulb).

Latest posts