• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I rescued a beardie with MBD and no vets in my area will see him.

Megalomania2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
I rescued this bearded dragon from a coworker, it was absolutely neglected. Even though I've never had or cared for a BD before I knew I could give this poor little guy a much higher quality of life. His legs hardly work, any of them, but he still gets around and now he seems very happy and from what I've researched he seems much like a normal healthy BD, unfortunately minus the cute waving I really wanted to see. Anyways, I obviously no vet and unfortunately no vets within a 5 hour drive of me will see this poor little guy so I'm not actually sure if it's MBD, MD or spring different altogether but MBD seems to be the most fitting as good appetite and energy and just general happiness doesn't seem affected. Does anyone have any experience with MBD or know how I can help this poor little guy regain some use of his legs. I suppose I should say what I've been trying. The last owner only fed him freeze dried meal worms. I through them out, I order him live food and I go out and pick him some local vegetation for his "salad" and he just houses everything I feed him down. He'll chase it down and rip into it, although he looks a little funny and depressing, but the way I assume a normal healthy BD does. Maybe this isn't MBD and maybe just a deformity, idk. Any opinions, thoughts, tips? Any sort of input would be much appreciated. Like I said I've never owned a BD before, but I have had plenty of snakes so I'm not too unfamiliar with creating a habitat for him. Thank you.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I rescued this bearded dragon from a coworker, it was absolutely neglected. Even though I've never had or cared for a BD before I knew I could give this poor little guy a much higher quality of life. His legs hardly work, any of them, but he still gets around and now he seems very happy and from what I've researched he seems much like a normal healthy BD, unfortunately minus the cute waving I really wanted to see. Anyways, I obviously no vet and unfortunately no vets within a 5 hour drive of me will see this poor little guy so I'm not actually sure if it's MBD, MD or spring different altogether but MBD seems to be the most fitting as good appetite and energy and just general happiness doesn't seem affected. Does anyone have any experience with MBD or know how I can help this poor little guy regain some use of his legs. I suppose I should say what I've been trying. The last owner only fed him freeze dried meal worms. I through them out, I order him live food and I go out and pick him some local vegetation for his "salad" and he just houses everything I feed him down. He'll chase it down and rip into it, although he looks a little funny and depressing, but the way I assume a normal healthy BD does. Maybe this isn't MBD and maybe just a deformity, idk. Any opinions, thoughts, tips? Any sort of input would be much appreciated. Like I said I've never owned a BD before, but I have had plenty of snakes so I'm not too unfamiliar with creating a habitat for him. Thank you.
Can you put a picture of the beardie and enclosure? What is your lighting and basking temps? Try to call a vet and get treatment instructions over the phone or through email. Make sure the veggies are safe staples and not sprayed with fertilizer or pesticides

Megalomania2020

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you put a picture of the beardie and enclosure? What is your lighting and basking temps? Try to call a vet and get treatment instructions over the phone or through email. Make sure the veggies are safe staples and not sprayed with fertilizer or pesticides
The tank i got him in now is 36 x 12 x 12. I've got a 48 x 14 x 17 for him that my girlfriend is making a dessert habitat inside for him. When I got him he was in a much smaller tank then the first one I listed, I don't even know the dimensions because I wouldn't use it for anything other then a couple fish. The last owner kept a giant water dish in his tank so I was concerned about the humidity making him sick and I just had to take him when I saw the conditions and neglect he was dealing with. He all around seems genuinely happy and even affectionate now lol. His color has brightened up so much and although his legs don't work well He's pretty high energy. I do have a nice basking spot for him with the digital prope and thermostat that shuts it off after it hits 105 and I'm not sure about the specifications about the UBV light. It is a bar with like a hood that went across the entire length of the tank. It doesn't fit across the entire tank now so it covers about 60% opposite the basking spot. My basking bulb is a 150w no light emitting bulb and there's another light emitting bulb in the double light ceramic thing. I use both during the day because it takes both to get the heat where it needs to be and I turn off all light emitting ones at night for him.

Attachments

• 20211003_184737.jpg
    20211003_184737.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211007_152308.jpg
    20211007_152308.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211007_152315.jpg
    20211007_152315.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20211009_221050.jpg
    20211009_221050.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211009_221152.jpg
    20211009_221152.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211009_221258.jpg
    20211009_221258.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211009_221421.jpg
    20211009_221421.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211010_010550.jpg
    20211010_010550.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 9

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Okay, you have the right uvb. The hide on the right side of the enclosure may not be safe because pine is toxic. I see a red light, those are not good for beardies. It can damage their eyes. They should not have any nighttime heating unless it gets colder than 65 degrees. For that you can use a ceramic heat emitter

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Okay, you have the right uvb. The hide on the right side of the enclosure may not be safe because pine is toxic. I see a red light, those are not good for beardies. It can damage their eyes. They should not have any nighttime heating unless it gets colder than 65 degrees. For that you can use a ceramic heat emitter
Also make sure he doesn't flip on his back- he can't breathe in that position. Your tank seems well ventilated, I don't think it would hurt to put a small water bowl in. Try to find decor of a different kind of material (if the hide is an evergreen) at petco or petsmart

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
I was literally crying when I read your story. Its so sad how people neglect animals. I'm so happy to hear you and your gf rescued him! He is so cute and despite his legs, looks very happy!! Best of luck to you guys! Ohh and what's his name??