• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need help with uvb bulbs and what to buy

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
So im really worried at the moment...i have a 75 gallon tank i have my 3 year old bearded dragon i got yesterday i know they need a basking and uvb/uva. So i got something for the mean time for the uvb bulb its an 18” from zilla along with a hood. Do i need the length of the hood to be the same as my tank which is 48” so do i need a 48” fixture or smaller? Does the fixture need to cover the whole tank or just near where the basking dome is? I heard somewhere where the mesh lid blocks 30% of the uvb rays, if so do i need to mount it underneath the lid somehow??? Im good with the basking light just mainly the uvb. I know theres a T8 and T5 and which should i use and what size/along with fixture. Im also confused about the wattage and whats recommended!! Ive heard that a T5 10.0 bulb is better than the 5.0 bulb but what wattage. I just need help asap :( ive also been told to not use the coil bulbs because it can cause too much uvb andpossibly blind the dragon idk help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So im really worried at the moment...i have a 75 gallon tank i have my 3 year old bearded dragon i got yesterday i know they need a basking and uvb/uva. So i got something for the mean time for the uvb bulb its an 18” from zilla along with a hood. Do i need the length of the hood to be the same as my tank which is 48” so do i need a 48” fixture or smaller? Does the fixture need to cover the whole tank or just near where the basking dome is? I heard somewhere where the mesh lid blocks 30% of the uvb rays, if so do i need to mount it underneath the lid somehow??? Im good with the basking light just mainly the uvb. I know theres a T8 and T5 and which should i use and what size/along with fixture. Im also confused about the wattage and whats recommended!! Ive heard that a T5 10.0 bulb is better than the 5.0 bulb but what wattage. I just need help asap :( ive also been told to not use the coil bulbs because it can cause too much uvb andpossibly blind the dragon idk help!
Please take the Zilla fixture back and look for this I am thinking the pet store is not going to have it but you need this for your 75 gallon tank you do NOT want it the same length as the tank -- you do not want them hiding from the UVB rays
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this come w/ the 5.0 bulb it is equivalent to a T 8 --- hang onto it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the T 5
you need this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html which is currently out of stock so I want you to get this one its a great bulb as well https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html Please order these right away especially the fixture they sell out of these all the time --- these people are good and fast they ship Fed Ex --- go regular shipping you should have it in 3 days or so --- the Arcadia bulb is one of the best on the market besides the Reptisun and I am thinking that the Arcadia is a better bulb anyway I have used both --- when you get it please let me know I will help you get it placed for the tank ---- the 5.0 is too weak for the size of your tank --- yes NO coils please get what I have recommend

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please take the Zilla fixture back and look for this I am thinking the pet store is not going to have it but you need this for your 75 gallon tank you do NOT want it the same length as the tank -- you do not want them hiding from the UVB rays
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this come w/ the 5.0 bulb it is equivalent to a T 8 --- hang onto it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the T 5
you need this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html which is currently out of stock so I want you to get this one its a great bulb as well https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html Please order these right away especially the fixture they sell out of these all the time --- these people are good and fast they ship Fed Ex --- go regular shipping you should have it in 3 days or so --- the Arcadia bulb is one of the best on the market besides the Reptisun and I am thinking that the Arcadia is a better bulb anyway I have used both --- when you get it please let me know I will help you get it placed for the tank ---- the 5.0 is too weak for the size of your tank --- yes NO coils please get what I have recommend
ok so I just checked pangea again and now they are all sold out again ---- please check Amazon for that fixture and bulb -- NO coils at all -- the T 8 your using now needs to go inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb and placed 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- here are some ways to hang the fixture
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line --- potted plant wire hangers or these work good if you can find them TAY TY cable and hook ties --- you can try Walmart they look like Velcro straps

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
ok so I just checked pangea again and now they are all sold out again ---- please check Amazon for that fixture and bulb -- NO coils at all -- the T 8 your using now needs to go inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb and placed 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- here are some ways to hang the fixture
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line --- potted plant wire hangers or these work good if you can find them TAY TY cable and hook ties --- you can try Walmart they look like Velcro straps
What are your thoughts on mega ray bulbs? Or mercury vapor bulbs

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
What about mega ray bulbs

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are mvb and are hard to keep temps and UVB in check--- often the mvb does not emit enough UVB and you end up buying another one since you already have the T 8 you can go w/ the mega ray- you will need to have it unobstructed and about 12-16 inches depending on the wattage of bulb--- you have a 75 gallon so your probably gonna need the 160 watt and I would invest in a stand that is adjustable for height- that way you can get your basking temps to what they need to be put the T 8 in the tank for the extra UVB- he will sit under it if he needs it- and I would change the 50 watt zilla bulb out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 better bulb

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Those are mvb and are hard to keep temps and UVB in check--- often the mvb does not emit enough UVB and you end up buying another one since you already have the T 8 you can go w/ the mega ray- you will need to have it unobstructed and about 12-16 inches depending on the wattage of bulb--- you have a 75 gallon so your probably gonna need the 160 watt and I would invest in a stand that is adjustable for height- that way you can get your basking temps to what they need to be put the T 8 in the tank for the extra UVB- he will sit under it if he needs it- and I would change the 50 watt zilla bulb out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 better bulb
I can return the t8 with no problem but i was thinking of the 70 or 100w for the mega ray and i know it does more uvb than heat. In his basking area, on the top of his head from the bottom of the lid is 9” and from his body it is 12”

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are mvb and are hard to keep temps and UVB in check--- often the mvb does not emit enough UVB and you end up buying another one since you already have the T 8 you can go w/ the mega ray- you will need to have it unobstructed and about 12-16 inches depending on the wattage of bulb--- you have a 75 gallon so your probably gonna need the 160 watt and I would invest in a stand that is adjustable for height- that way you can get your basking temps to what they need to be put the T 8 in the tank for the extra UVB- he will sit under it if he needs it
I can return the t8 with no problem but i was thinking of the 70 or 100w for the mega ray and i know it does more uvb than heat. In his basking area, on the top of his head from the bottom of the lid is 9” and from his body it is 12”
Let me get some help w/ the wattage you need for the 75 gallon-- then I can tell you what exactly to get and distance

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Those are mvb and are hard to keep temps and UVB in check--- often the mvb does not emit enough UVB and you end up buying another one since you already have the T 8 you can go w/ the mega ray- you will need to have it unobstructed and about 12-16 inches depending on the wattage of bulb--- you have a 75 gallon so your probably gonna need the 160 watt and I would invest in a stand that is adjustable for height- that way you can get your basking temps to what they need to be put the T 8 in the tank for the extra UVB- he will sit under it if he needs it

Let me get some help w/ the wattage you need for the 75 gallon-- then I can tell you what exactly to get and distance
Oh ok, i know that the mega ray bulb puts out more uvb and the mesh lid blocks some of the rays so someone recommended a 100w instead of a 75w like i said his basking spot where his head is from the lamp is 9” and his body (isn’t flat) but its 12” from the lights i havs currently

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh ok, i know that the mega ray bulb puts out more uvb and the mesh lid blocks some of the rays so someone recommended a 100w instead of a 75w like i said his basking spot where his head is from the lamp is 9” and his body (isn’t flat) but its 12” from the lights i havs currently
I am checking w/ someone who has more experience than I w/ them

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The mega ray should be swapped out for a standard basking light that can be controlled with a thermostat. MVBs can put out dangerously high or low amounts of UVB radiation and heat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am checking w/ someone who has more experience than I w/ them
Here is the response from some one who uses Mega Rays
I keep my 100w bulbs at about 12'' up. The 160 should probably be around 16-24'' or so. I haven't seen a test for the more powerful 270w, but those are probably more fitting for a very large enclosure like at a zoo.
So it is up to you to go w/ a Mega Ray bulb

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
The Zilla T8 is a good fixture and UVB but you want the UVB tube light to cover 3\4 of you enclosure what I recommend is going on reptile basics website and purchase a T5 fixture with a Arcadia 12% T5 bulb. They are good for 12 months instead of 6 months

Latest posts